TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,here's my dilemma i have a sct tune which is setup for a 180 thermostat. i live in a coooold climate where the temp. doesn't really rise above 32f during the winter month's.i have been noticing lately that my temp gauge does not rise above 160-165 and my gas mileage is going way down.
is my car stuck in closed/open loop? i can change over to a 195 thermostat and change when the fan comes on etc with the user options.i have read that this low of a temp is not good for the engine and want to do what is necessary.i also read that it does effect gas mileage when the engine runs so cold.the heater blows hot air etc.thx for the help...:confused:

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
use the t stat your car is tuned for

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx ,but i'm concerned that the temp's i'm drivin in were not accounted for when the tune was done...i also have new o2 sensors and my gas mileage is weak..

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
There are a lot of things that could cause your gas mileage to drop.

But, at -32° F for months, I'd switch back to the 195° T-Stat and run it for a week or a tank of gas and see if it made a difference. Like extreme heat - extreme cold is nothing to mess with either.

Have you talked to the SCT programmer that you worked with about this issue?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes, use the thermostat your tune was setup for, like was suggested. There are several parameters in the tune that get changed based around a 180deg thermostat. If you're running less than 160 ECTs, you could be running into an issue where the engine still thinks it's not warmed up.. which uses a bit more fuel, depends on how the tune was setup. Also, a warmer engine runs better and aids somewhat to durability.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well aside from him using the Tstat that the program on his Xcal2 is tuned for, i think it seems very weird that his car can't reach even 180°.......regardless of what climate he is in, the Tstat shouldnt open until 180° ± a few degrees of course....if the Tstat is a Motorcraft one, it should have a small bleed hole which might reduce the temp a little, but not to 160°-165°.....have you drilled any holes in the Tstat's mounting flange?

if not, then i'd either test that Tstat indoors on the stove with an appropriate thermometer, or get a new motorcraft Tstat and try it out........but if you did drill any holes, then that might explain it.....let us know what happens

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
off to get a new 180 then see what happens ...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have a 180 deg. and my temp goes barely above the first mark in 20deg weather. It takes it a while to heat up. Im probably going to switch back to stock when I install my explorer motor.

·
Registered
663 Posts
well, im a minnesota guy, and your from canada im sure youve seen it... cardboard all over the front of cars. that looks tacky as hell but it works to reduce the cooling affect of the -15*C air. there is a better way to do it. is slide a peice down in front of your radiator partially blocking it off like 1/2 or 1/3 of it. then wire tie it in place. i have done this a couple times on trucks and a few cars and it usually fixes the problem. just remember its there if it warms up out side.
just my $.02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts