TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having some problems with the heater so I figure it's probably time for a new thermostat.

I picked up a new factory spec one from Ford yesterday. Now I was just poking around here and it seems a few are going for a 180F thermostat. Will I notice any functional differences between the two? Also where can I find one in the Toronto area?

Finally, should I use some sealant when installing the thermostat or is it not necessary?

thanks

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I didn't really notice much difference between the two, except that I think you will aprreciate the extra heat in the winter! I just switched back from 180 to 195 because of that, and I figured, even if the 180 causes a little extra wear, I would prefer to avoid it.

And, as far as I know, you should use sealant on both sides of the paper gasket.

·
8,239 Posts
if you are using a stock eec tune, then you need to use the stock thermostat. There is no benefit otherwise.

JH

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guess stock it is, thanks guys

and just so I know for sure, regular gasket sealant is what I should be using?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
JustinH said:
if you are using a stock eec tune, then you need to use the stock thermostat. There is no benefit otherwise.

JH
That's not true. 93 and older cars came without the electric fan which means you could put in the 180 t-stat and buy an aftermarket fan with an adjustable temp sensor that goes in the radiator fins and all will be fine and dandy. I have a 180 t-stat and electric fan and my car never goes past O on NORM even in 100 degree weather around town. Right now when it's about 50-60 degrees out it never even hits N. And I did feel better overall performance. It's not something I gained, it's something I kept. When your car heats up it looses power it has when it's colder. Ad also by going to electric fan you will gain some hp that was lost by the paracitic drag from the clutch fan.
-Thomas

·
Registered
735 Posts
thomas...why the new fan?

was it substantial? expensive? easy to install?

Would the cost be comparitive to a chip burn? If they cost the same, i say get a chip bro. Two birds one stone.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I don't think you can use a chip on the clutch fan. In fact you might not even need an electric fan. I'm not sure how the clutch fan works. I just know I ripped it out when I first bought the car and put in an electric. It cost me about 140 with the temp sensor and it was really easy to install. Plus it runs even cooler that way. That's about half the price of a chip.

The reason the lower tstat won't work on 94+ is because the fan turns on at 195 am I correct? And when the thermostat opens at 180 it's just circulating hot coolant and it makes no difference.

Does anyone know how the clutch fan is activated?

-Thomas

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
From what I've been told the clutch fan works based on heat. The hotter the clutch gets, the tighter it gets. Meaning that as the engine temp rises, more power is transferred to the fan. This in turn draws more air through the radiator.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've always been told.

-Rod

P.S. - If you're sticking with the clutch fan, I wouldn't use a 180 t-stat during the winter. Been there, done that, and it's really cold in the winter without any heat. If you have an electric fan, it's a completely different story.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Is there a clutch on the 89-93 fan? I thought it just turned directly off the water pump drive. All I remember seeing is a shaft sticking out from the water pump, and four bolts holding the fan to that. Is the clutch on the fan itself? Or did they add a clutch between 89 and 93? I am confused.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
Yes, there is a clutch on the mechanical fan in 89-93. It is the finned aluminum part with the spring in the middle, and it is located on the fan itself.

-Rod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts