TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waddup Ya'll, Im about to purchase some tires before winter hits here in south dakota, now i narrowed my choices down to two.
235/60/R15 Firestone Firehawks Indy 500's Or
245/60/R15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's

I am running my stock LX 6.5" rims with KYB GR-2 Struts & Shocks With Eibach Pro Spring Kit. Now we do get all 4 seasons here in south dakota lol, snow,sleet,rain..black ice...lol u name it... this is going to be my daily driver so..what tires hold up best? plus i am a very spirited driver lmao..i want all around performance! and please add if you've had any problems with either tire. thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,803 Posts
Firestone Firehawks Indy 500's
Would be my choice IMO. When I get my 17" rims going with the Wide Ovals;)

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,432 Posts
Firestone Firehawks Indy 500's
Would be my choice IMO. When I get my 17" rims going with the Wide Ovals;)
:zwthstpd:

Had the Indy 500s on the T-bird for a little over a year, now they're on the Cougar. Very good tires, especially for the price. Quite sticky in summertime, and better in snow than I expected. The Wide Ovals are AWESOME tires, albeit for summer only. I have yet to break them free after a summer on the bird.

Know, however, that the wider the tire the worse off you are in snow.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If you can only afford one set, get some good winter tires and save up for summers over the winter. Get them in the stock size so you can get the best overall traction, and look for a set of SC wheels for your summer tires. :)

I have General Altimax Artics on my 97 Thunderbird, we got our first snow yesterday and I was stable and had no issues. Not too bad, got them for $72/tire with free shipping, and had them mounted and balanced for $10/tire.

·
Super Moderator
9,432 Posts
The SC wheels are slightly wider than the LX wheels allowing a wider tire and less sidewall flex, in addition to being 16" rather than 15".

·
Super Moderator
9,432 Posts
Offset would be the distance between the centerline of the wheel and the mounting point on the hub.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you can only afford one set, get some good winter tires and save up for summers over the winter. Get them in the stock size so you can get the best overall traction, and look for a set of SC wheels for your summer tires. :)

I have General Altimax Artics on my 97 Thunderbird, we got our first snow yesterday and I was stable and had no issues. Not too bad, got them for $72/tire with free shipping, and had them mounted and balanced for $10/tire.
Good to know as I just ordered a set for my cougar.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah, i understand that the wider i go...the worse it'll be in snow...but im not rich enough to buy two sets of tires lol, so...
I can totally understand money being tight. However, think about how much your insurance deductable is when you have even a small accident, then add on top of that how much your insurance will increase after said accident. THEN compare that to a set of snow tires. No point in going on huh...

Brad

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s for my Wife's 2007 Mazda5. For a Thunderbird, they are only $85 each! I would highly suggest getting these if you are serious about snow..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS60&partnum=17R5BZWS60&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=1995&autoModel=Thunderbird&autoModClar=

Firestone Indy 500s are a good tire, but people have said they aren't the best tire for snow. They are a fantastic all season tire with good rain and dry pavement traction.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I had Yokohama Avid touring S on my t-bird. No complaints whatsoever. We had a horrible winter in NJ last year and those tires were amazing. I was stuck driving home IN FRONT of the plows because there was nowhere to pull aside. They are cheap too 75 a tire 300 for a set

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Between the Firestone and BFG, the Indy 500s are superior to the Radial T/As. Check out the testing on TireRack.com to compare the two. We put a set of the Firestones on my boss's 67 Mustang to replace Radial T/As, much nicer.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Firehawks and Radial T/A are not worth a s#$t in snow and ice. If you get into a snow storm with those on a Tbird, get your cell out and phone a tow truck. Coming from a Canuck who deals with winter every year, get a set of Blizzacks for the winter or drive something else during snow and ice season (advisable).

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The best tire combination I have driven is SC wheels with 255/55/16 General UHP grabbers. Much easier on the budget too. MarkVIII wheels are the same size and easier to find.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
9,432 Posts
Firehawks and Radial T/A are not worth a s#$t in snow and ice. If you get into a snow storm with those on a Tbird, get your cell out and phone a tow truck. Coming from a Canuck who deals with winter every year, get a set of Blizzacks for the winter or drive something else during snow and ice season (advisable).
Well yes, any snow tire will outperform an all season in snow and ice...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Well yes, any snow tire will outperform an all season in snow and ice...
Of course, but the original poster mentioned snow, black ice etc. On a Tbird, the all season's don't cut it on that kinda stuff.;)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
+1 on INDY 500's, but not for snow haha! I did take the cougar out in snow with them on and it wasn't BAD but anything over 3 inches and your asking for trouble. Great dry/wet tires though.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i've driven both indy 500's and radial ta through winters of pure ice here in iowa. both were 275/60r15 on my tbird. i had good luck with the indy 500 just as you should with any car/tire plan on taking a little longer to get where you are going. the radial t/a's are junk in my opnion

1 - 20 of 20 Posts