TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for some that can connect via USB which will pass along live data to my laptop for easier monitoring. I've come across some, but I'm not sure if these are any good or not.

One I found on eBay

Some I found on e-tailer computer super store (of all places), NewEgg

Harbor Frieght, found through searching TCCoA.

Are there any other ones that you guys can suggest that don't cost an arm and a leg (I've heard some can cost well into $5,000 range) or my first born that will provide me with live data?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I have the one from Harbor Freight. Works really nice for only 99 bucks and tax (With coupon). You get all the basic PIDs for live data and a graph screen. Check and clear CEL and even see pending codes. You can hook up to your computer and view past recordings as well. Comes with a CD-Rom to load the software. Easy to use. Not the best, but great for basic live data on the less expensive side. So far I've used in in seven different cars and trucks and haven't had a problem with it. I would recommend it.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
By far the best for our cars are SCT's Xca2 and Xcal3 programmers. You can likely find one for $50 locked (Xcal2s) if you scan the mustang forums. SCT logging software is free. You can log 10 parameters grouped together at the same time on-device (you can log more, just have to create another group of 10 parameters and switch to the 10 new ones) and up to 39 parameters simultaneously, passed through to a laptop. There are a few hundred different things you can log from an EEC-V using an Xcal, that other scanners can't dream of seeing.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How well does it work on Hondas? I need this to work well for both the T-Bird and the Accord. Especially the Accord at the moment since it's also been giving me issues lately.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xcals only work on OBDII fords, hence why I said "for our cars.."
You did :tongue:

I guess I should rephrase my OP then.

What USB Live Data OBDII scanners would be recommended for most cars?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not quite what you were looking for, but I like my Actron Elite CP9185 scanner.

It's programmed with foreign and domestic OBDII vehicles. Optional cables make it backward compatible with with OBDI -- the differences between the CP9185 and the CP9190 are the included OBD I cables and hard case with the CP9190 and the consequent $50+ price increase.

The unit has a live, graphing LCD and the data can be downloaded into the pc or laptop via USB, product updates via internet, etc.

Of course, you won't really need a small footprint handheld if you have a cart you can drag your laptop around on -- that is, if you plan on viewing/using the scanner while under the hood, etc. I personally wouldn't risk a laptop by resting it on engine bay stuff.

My CP9185 was $250 @ AutoZone years ago. I'm not sure if AZ still sells them, but they're all over eBay and you can get one here: Actron Elite CP9185 @ Amazon

If you want output control, you'll need the factory scan tool -- for our cars, it's the New Generation STAR (NGS), Rotunda 007-00500.

edit: Actually, I take that back. There are some laptop interfaces that will give you bi-directional control, although I can't speak to their accuracy/reliability.
Here's one system: AutoEnginuity
Check out what you can do with their enhanced Ford interace!: Ford EI01 interface

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is there a charge for the tunes received thru SCT , or do you just pick a tune that best fits your vehicle , or do you send them a data log and they write a tune for you ?

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
personally I use the quarterhorse if I need to log a bunch of data (MAF Tuning) but I'v used a mongoose with binary editor and it's ok but not real fast.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Is there a charge for the tunes received thru SCT , or do you just pick a tune that best fits your vehicle , or do you send them a data log and they write a tune for you ?
wrong thread bud, this is not about EEC tuning, lol.

But to answer your question, Yes, all of the above. No one can answer your question until you pick up the telephone and call up an SCT dealer. Each one has their own, possibly different, possibly similar, policies on tuning costs.

Usually the best SCT tuners are the ones that have worked directly with/for SCT, and the ones who have received advanced calibrator training/certifications.

In no particular order,

Matt Hill
Don LaSota
Justin Starkey
Eric Brooks
Joe Gorm
Greg Banish

don't ask which individual is the best, because now a days, if you wanted a tune from the best (which is not on the list), he would contact you, not the other way around. ;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Somewhere between the dealer scan tool and the generic obd-2 readers are:
http://obd-2.com/ (pretty good, gives all the enhanced codes, some bidirectional tests (fan, ford self tests), logging). Won't read ABS codes on the bird(but will on others). I have it and I'm very happy. For the tbird you need just PWM(about $120), but I suggest getting PWM/ISO if you have any newer fords. The CAN adapter will scan cars till today, but it is like $250.

Otherwise you can look for a used MT 2500 (red brick) on ebay, only has to go up to 98 or so. That is the best aftermarket scan tool money could buy for our cars (but obsolete now). Should be under $200. I believe it could read ABS codes, if you get the older OBD-I ford adpater with the set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts