TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm planning on starting up an engine project. My plans so far are to procure an Explorer block and slowly build up a nice strong forged engine. I am thinking of going one of two ways with this, either building it high-compression for N/A power, or low compression and trying to get the rear-mount turbo idea to work. I know the N/A route would be easier and cheaper, and I'm not really looking to build a monster drag car, just something with good power that can spank a Camaro or two if need be. I'm leaning toward the N/A route because of the lower cost and simplicity, but I always love doing things that people tell me are "impossible" or "it'll never work", so maybe the turbo would be the better choice just because of the challenge and the chance to have the only turbo 4.6 bird around? with a forged block and a turbo I could make some crazy HP numbers, I'm sure. I could supercharge, sure, but I like turbos better.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? There's one out there with a turbo on it already? Or someone thinking the same thing as I am? It could be a race to see who gets it first! ...Probably not me, I'm missing one important thing: CASH! But seriously, I thought the only turbo MN-12s had 5.0s or 4.2s or any other engine BUT the 4.6?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Hehehe, I don't think it would be much of a race, the main factor in trying something new is money, waiting to see the results, personally.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
There are some good reasons why there isn't a turbo 4.6 MN12 yet...and for it to happen you will likely have to custom fab up a lot of stuff and spend a lot of money when you could have awesome performance for less money with a blower ;)

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Palmguy said:
There are some good reasons why there isn't a turbo 4.6 MN12 yet...and for it to happen you will likely have to custom fab up a lot of stuff and spend a lot of money when you could have awesome performance for less money with a blower ;)
Maybe.....maybe not. :D

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spider-sense tingling! Does Sir Will have something up his sleeve? :D Honestly, I think it'd be definitely worth the extra effort just to have that schweeet turbo sound. :drool:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've decided to go with an N/A setup this time, mainly because I'm poor. :( Maybe someday I'll get a turbo... Now I gotta find a big cam for a nice lopey idle. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts