TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered my right rear knuckle is cracked at the bearing area:(
I found a guy on ebay with a brand new knuckle with bearing and bushings for 125.00 plus shipping, is this reasonable? Sounds like it but I wanted other opinions first before I commit.

Chris

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds like the car has been jumped or ran onto a curb at high speed.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
You can break them pretty easily with a press, putting the bearings in wrong... :)

I have a large, aluminum desk ornament that's cracked, with part of a bearing embedded in it.

Part of my support slipped with about 10,000psi on it. :rolleyes:

I'd find a new one; the "parts wanted" section helped me, AFAICR.

A rear knuckle from any matching brake type car will work; bird, cougar, or mark 8 (if you have disks).

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
does the car have rear disc or drums ? I might have what you need .
It doesn't matter, the knuckle is the same for both.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
It doesn't matter, the knuckle is the same for both.
Not exactly. The knuckles from a car with rear Drums will not have the bosses drilled out for the bolt holes on the caliper mounting bracket. You would need to drill and tap them out to put rear discs on a drum knuckle.

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
You would need to drill them, not tap them. The threads are in the bracket for the caliper, so it is just a matter of drilling 2 holes, which is easy enough.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
You would need to drill them, not tap them. The threads are in the bracket for the caliper, so it is just a matter of drilling 2 holes, which is easy enough.
I didn't realize that; can't see the bosses behind the backing plate, lol.

Good to know; I know where more parts are now. I need one more... :rolleyes:

I have a template to drill the holes by, too.

:D

·
Registered
290 Posts

This is good info.My local yards want $80 to $120 per disc brake spindle.So I can save $160 to $240 and drill my own.

Where'd I put my drill press?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts