TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heater core sprung a leak over a year ago so I bypassed it and I'm finally about to replace it. Ever since the leak the hotter the climate is the longer it takes for the blend door to finally open so I'm sure I have to do more than just some cleaning. I'm curious what I should do while the dash is out of the way so I don't have to do again too soon unless of course this cheap heater core fails.

I've already bought 4 sqft of sound deadening material similar to Dynamat Xtreme but thicker made by Stinger. I'll use this anywhere that isn't accessible when the dash is in place before buying a 36 sqft bulk pack some other month to do more of the car.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
All I would change is to sell that POS heater core and buy a Ford one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check your Evaporator too

·
Registered
101 Posts
Unless he's having actual A/C issues I wouldn't. You've got to discharge the refrigerant, pull the heater box, pry it apart(or cut a hole in it) to "check it".
Hmm well i figured you would need to split the case to access the heater core anyways like on some other cars...but apearantly thats not the case on T birds because the heater core slides right out. Still IMO i would replace it or at least check it...who wants to take a dash completely apart again 3 months later when its hot and your ac doesnt work? But thats just me and i have terrible luck. :rolleyes: I guess at $13 for a pound of R134a nowdays, having a sealed system is a money saver. Kinda like pulling the 4.6 motor and not replacing sway bar bushings, steering rack or torque convertor.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I would've thought more about buying a motorcraft heater core before trying to save money but I am trying to spend as little as possible this week. Today is my birthday and I had already taken the whole week off from work in order to put my paid vaction to use before it was too late. I ordered the heater core from Advance as soon as I cashed my paycheck on Saturday and the part didn't arrive until Tuesday. If I want a motorcraft part the local dealership doesn't have one in stock so my vacation will be over by the time it arrives. I really want to take my time doing this along with a few other projects tomorrow and Friday.

Riding my bicycle is fun and all but it's hard to bring a girl home, lol. ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,984 Posts
Hmm well i figured you would need to split the case to access the heater core anyways like on some other cars...but apearantly thats not the case on T birds because the heater core slides right out. Still IMO i would replace it or at least check it...who wants to take a dash completely apart again 3 months later when its hot and your ac doesnt work? But thats just me and i have terrible luck. :rolleyes: I guess at $13 for a pound of R134a nowdays, having a sealed system is a money saver. Kinda like pulling the 4.6 motor and not replacing sway bar bushings, steering rack or torque convertor.
My reasoning is the heater core is more failure prone, replacing just it is less intrusive and there's more incentive to replace it since you're losing coolant from the engine and potentially ruining your carpet in the process. The evaporator, conversely, isn't really that failure prone unless the system's been severely neglected and leaking refrigerant won't overheat the engine nor ruin the carpets.

Then again, I've pulled the dash out two seperate times where I didn't touch the heater core or evaporator. You're all just being wusses:tongue:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Then again, I've pulled the dash out two seperate times where I didn't touch the heater core or evaporator. You're all just being wusses:tongue:[/QUOTE]

Okie dokie :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anybody cares I took the chinese heater core back and ordered the motorcraft. Haven't had much time to work on it since that part took too long to arrive but I'm almost to the point where the car should be able to run. Since the motorcraft didn't have any foam on it I went to hobby lobby and bought a black foam sheet and spray adhesive. I did end up needing more than 4 sq ft of sound deadening material for the mostly exposed body panel just under and across the windshield and around the e-brake.

Now that I've messed with the dash like I have I'm not going to shudder anymore the next time I think about pulling it. Now I'll even consider buying a black interior instead of just using paint, :D.

On a side note I finally understand why I've always been able to shift the tranny without needing the key, lol. Too bad I didn't think about shifting into first before trying to reinstall the dash but I needed a new shifter knob anyway.:rolleyes:

Note to others in the future: Make sure the vacuum lines for the ac within the dash are in place before setting the dash in place or otherwise the end from the dash that then goes to the heater case might end up wedged beneath it. Unless you want the extra practice bolting it and unbolting it like I got.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts