TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any mods that can be done to a NPI engine while waiting to do swap that can be also used on a PI engine?

Elec. shift kit, Headers, TB, Injectors, MAF, Turbo... etc?

..in other words...
Is there any thing I can play with now to get a lil' bit more out of the old that can also be used on the new? And yes a "fresh" Tune for every new toy!

I've read that a torque converter and the diff. gears can make a big difference at the wheels too. Already got MarkVIII tc an' JMod installed, Big difference. I'm thinking MarkVIII parts in rear so havent done gears, Yet, but that's a future post.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Gears are a great mod. And if you like the Mark VIII converter you should go with a higher stall REAL converter from Dirtydog. I've got a 3500 triple PI converter that will be getting replaced soon by a 4000+ stall triple.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Drive shaft. You're going to need it sooner or later, whether you are installing lower gears or just plan to run higher speeds with a non-rev-limited computer tune.

Headers and exhaust is a no-brainer, too. That will benefit you now and in the future, especially if you replace the lousy factory converters with a pair of high-flow types and an x-pipe.

I am in roughly the same position as you. I'm not doing a PI top-end swap until I have everything else together, so I'm stuck with just a new exhaust, suspension, and torque converter to play with for now.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I hear ya on the converter.I am also thinking of flipping my 3500 stall for a 4000.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
well you can basically get a t/b plenum and injectors the one syou want atleast a maf anything that bolts on to non-pi will bolt onto a pi. if i where you i'd go to a junk yard and find a non-pi aluminum x over to put on the pi manifold so that way when you do the swap you wont waste time fumbling with the assembly of the one your ditching. also when you get the heads port em and have em spruced up a bit new valves cams that sort of thing atleast thats what i'm doing. i have the heads so i ordered some special stage 2.5 cams and new intake valves and springs and seals. talk to nickmckinney he'll show you how its done. i owe him for all the help he's given me plus his prices are very affordable.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
not at all. especially with a tune and if you plan on going with different cams as i am. you adjust the lift and the length the intake valve stays open its gonna need more air and fuel as why i'm getting 24# injectors. everything i'm doing i've discussed with guys who really know what they are doing. once everything is essentially slapped on its getting a tune the next day so i can get back and forth to worky work. also i think pretty much everyone on here who has done a pi swap has either gotten a bigger plenum or bored the stock one out quite a bit and as well as a bigger maf

·
Registered
874 Posts
talk to nickmckinney he'll show you how its done. i owe him for all the help he's given me plus his prices are very affordable.
I will second that.... Nick is an awsome guy to deal with. he does top notch work.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
hence why i said PI swap ALONE. just cause your adding cams dosnt mean he is. the stock stuff is more than sufficiant for a PI swap
true..i think we miss understood each other. but yes i have the cams picked out as well as intake valves and springs. but the reason i suggested that is because i did suggest a set of cams. either way yes you are right a pi swap alone is not really that demanding with a port and cams it is. i am getting my heads ported and getting the cams

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Like Stated above... the PI intake is more of a restriction than the TB and elbow. Even with Cams and ported heads. I think a PI intake is the best bang for the buck. No matter how you put it. They can be had with everything for 100 bux. I think I paid 115 shipped for mine with injectors and everything. Now if he was going to put a super charger on it then I would say spend the coin on some big stuff.. Like a Bullitt Intake depending on how serious he's going. But even then a PI intake would be the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
No way .Search SVO superchargers on ebay and just stop the madness. Best bang for the buck right there.:zdevil:

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
blah when I supercharge I'm going with a Vortech. I think it will match a fully built bottom end nicely. Pushing about 18-20 lbs of boost :) That's 2 years and 4 -6 deployments away though. We'll see what happens :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
funny how you listed 'turbo' as a mean-time thing to do before a PI head swap...as if a turbo install was soooo easy on these cars.....lol
Not looking for easy, looking for interchangability, A turbo would be the far end of the spectrum but if I could put it on an NPI then swap it to a PI it may be an option to run on my NPI 'till the swap. It was used more as an example than anything to express that I'm looking for all ideas, no matter how difficult or strange.

that will all be a waste of $ on a pi swap alone.
No worries 'bout that. A swap alone would be boring, thats why I'm looking for toys that will work for both the NPI and PI.

V8 superbirdy are you talking about an after market intake?

A supercharger is the way I'd go except for expense. I have many used turbos available to me and a welder (Desoto Drifters) buddy that can fab up anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I have many used turbos available to me and a welder (Desoto Drifters) buddy that can fab up anything.
almost everything....i say, everything except a decent turbo setupfor an MN12 car, until I am proven otherwise :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
almost everything....i say, everything except a decent turbo setupfor an MN12 car, until I am proven otherwise :)
That is true, a "backyard" turbo mod wouldn't be the best way to go, but would be cheaper, and probably would have a negative effect after a while.
That's why a turbo wouldn't be 'till later on, if at all. And at that I would try to go Super over Turbo.

But, would a set of headers from a NPI fit PI heads?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts