TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the deal. i just put in my fresh new diff 3.73 tl, all internals r brandnew and was put together by a local tranny shop. the minute i pulled onto the rd for the 1st 15min light break in i heard the gears whinning!!!! and it done it durring the whole 15min. im running synthetic moble1gear oil and a tube of additive. mostly whinned above 40mph but i didnt go over 55mph and no hard acceleration. so basically im asking, is this supposed to whine on 1st break in?? sorry if this has been discussed, but i couldnt pull up much info on my problem thnx in advance guys. jamie

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Brand new gears might whine a bit. You need someone experienced to say if it's typical, or too much (no, I'm not that person!)

After all, there's no wear on them, so they've never worn in a matching surface patch ...

RwP

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any body else have opinions? I also threw in the correct speedo gear for the 3.73s.. I'm so discusted!!! I'm about to do the 2nd break in stage here in a little while.. I'm going with the break in directions on the articles on here..

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If it continues after 500 miles I would take it to the shop, if you used non OEM gears deal with it, you bought cheap junk and that is your reward. If you used OEM gears and they are noisy past 500 miles they were not set correctly.
Alan

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thnx DirtyDog.. I used the Yukon gears and cobra ford TL unit from scp.. Guess I should of said something about the brands :p

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have installed dozens of those, the last 3 whined like a dumptruck, deal with it or swap in OEM gears. 2 years ago the yukon gears were OEM, they are not anymore and they won't even give you a pinion measurement to figure them. At least motive does that.
Alan

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh great.. Looks like I may be in for it.. But we shall see tho within milage. :( wish me luck I guess

·
Super Moderator
12,072 Posts
Good luck. I hope they quite down for you.

I went FRPP with mine and RobertP built the case. No wine at all. Ever.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I gotta feeling I'm gunna have 2 go raise hell at this shop.. I just had a local mechanic I know say that they r either gunna whine after oil circulation or be quiet. And Jerry (91bluecoupe) said after his 3.73s were installed his didn't whine at all.... I'm getting more pi$$ed as the minutes go by..

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
It isn't their fault. I raised hell with Randy's Ring and pinion. After talking to them on the phone I will never purchase their junk gears again. Bill is unfortunately a victim of the deal they made to replace their quality OEM gears with cheap chinese junk. The only person it saved money was Randy's because their price didn't drop and they didn't say anything about it. At one time I thought they had the best gears around, but they also had the ford logo on them. The new gears look like junk.
Alan

·
Registered
290 Posts
I put Richmond 3:73's in my stock TL and there is a slight whine around 40 but quiets down after that. It's not THAT noticeable, but slightly louder than the OEM 3:27's I had.

Mike

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Dude, just ram some bananna peels into the differential.... that'll quiet 'em down some.... :zwall:

Just kidding!! REAL old trick to quiet down a worn out differential.... :eek:

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Dude, just ram some bananna peels into the differential.... that'll quiet 'em down some.... :zwall:

Just kidding!! REAL old trick to quiet down a worn out differential.... :eek:
LOL and I have heard of putting saw dust in there as well :eek: on a side note Will be interesting to hear how mine will sound when installed

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine gets quiet after 70mph lol

·
Super Moderator
12,072 Posts
LOL and I have heard of putting saw dust in there as well :eek: on a side note Will be interesting to hear how mine will sound when installed
Yea, I've heard the sawdust trick for transmissions as well.

So, when are you getting that purdy new pumpkin' put on the car?

Will it be in time for Halloween? :zspot:

·
Banned
998 Posts
Jamie,

I hope they quiet down for you after some miles.

Just will have to turn the radio up louder or make your exhaust as loud as mine. LOL

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol. Yeah I can't hear my nice tone of my exhaust anymore :( that comes to tell you that I had hardly any drone whatsoever lol I used to fold down my rear seat to either listen to my exhaust or my sub... But now I think ill be leaving my rear seat up..

·
Banned
998 Posts
Thats to funny.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Patience is a virtue. Wait it out on the 500 mile mark. If it is still whining, call a nationally known company for your next order or find a good used set. It may not be brand new but at least it will be new to you. I knew a guy that had put 3.73's into a camaro and they whined for over 5000 miles and he said he traded the car off cause of it. Of course, he was an idiot and the next owner called him up and griped him out for 2 hours over destroying the rearend of the car by installing the gears himself and doing them all wrong and then lying about it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts