TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently my car has been whining, and it gets louder(or faster sounding) as the rpms increase. its fairly high pitched, but isnt too noticible under the hood, or in the car with the windows open. But you can definitely hear it with the windows closed. I was thinking alternator or water pump or something of that nature, but I dont have the money to do anything to it, let along start replacing parts hoping I fix it. any input? :)

thanks!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont really think its that sound...its more of a whistle. I would try and make a video, but it isnt loud enough under the hood I dont think.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Is there a supercharger under there by any chance ;)

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Did you replace the belt yet?
I know I used the belt dressing at one time and after that it started to make noise.

·
Registered
583 Posts
First two things that come to mind are power steering pump or the alternator.. my pump whines a bit on both my car and my 79 ford truck but isn't anything I worry about for now. The screwdriver trick, or a stethescope, may help you isolate a sound. Stick the tip on the location and the round end to your ear or just behind it.. just make sure the tip won't slip off into somwhere you'd regret.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have this same issue. But to add a little more, I had a stereo system in my car and whenever i turned the volume up on my equalizer the whining got much worse from the speakers. As of now I have no audio equipment in my car (everything taken apart), and the whining from the engine persists. How do I check the ground loop?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts