TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was dogging my car out one day and it started whinning. Now everytime I really get on it and dog my car out it makes a whinning sound. It sounds like it's coming from the serpentine belt. It seems to whine louder when not moving. Like when I come to a stop sign it gets louder. What could it be?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Spray a little WD-40 on the idler pulley while the engine is running. I thought that's what was making the sound on mine, and when the spray stopped the squeal, it was obvious. It's only like a $12 part too and takes all of 5 minutes to change.

Pete

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
I have a whining sound too. :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have a whining sound too, but it's not at idle. Normally it's when crusing at 50+

:S

Sad thing, you can hear the whining sound over my exhaust, and my exhaust is pretty loud.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a whining sound too, but it goes away when the engine warms up.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
BIG PETE said:
Spray a little WD-40 on the idler pulley while the engine is running. I thought that's what was making the sound on mine, and when the spray stopped the squeal, it was obvious. It's only like a $12 part too and takes all of 5 minutes to change.

Pete
Where can you get it for $12? Even Advance Auto wants $18.48.

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
40 Posts
a winding sound while moving at 50 miles anhour could be a wheel bearing going most of time it is up front ,i have had that same soung and it was my wheel bearing

·
Registered
101 Posts
i had the same whining sound comming from the belt i thought but it turned out to be the idler pully it cost me 16 bucks from napa and they delivered it to me. but i would advise against breaking the bolt that holds it on. mine go too hot and when i went to loosen the bolt it broke off. luckly i was at my buddies exhaust shop and he had a drill and some ease outs but in order for me to get it out i had to take the fan and radiator out so i could fit the drill in there to drill the broken bolt out. but as long as u dont break the bolt it shouldnt take no longer than 5 mins. to replace it. now the only noise comming out from under the hood is from the CAI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts