TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i searched and couldnt find any good answers..and yes there is a whistle noise coming from the front of my engine...

-i know its not a belt cuz i lubed it up and nothing changed..
-could it be a bearing?..does that mean the the engine should of seazed up by now?
-is it a vacumm leak?..and how can i find it?..
-what about a water pump?...i searched and wasnt the same kind of whistle described

after i fix this noise and get new speakers up front trading in birdie for a 98 mark 8...yummm..anyways what could this be?

the noise sounds like when you whistle out the side of your mouth...and only happens around 2000 rpm...what does that mean?...is that bad?..could that affect my engine THAT badly..its been kinda loud for a good month and a half now..no matter what gear of position the car is in it happens around 2000rpm..

HELP!!...EEEEP!!

-Mike

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Bearing noise, atleast in the front engine accessories sounds more like a squeel than a whistle, and I'm pretty positive that if a bearing in your block was messed up to make a noise you could hear, you would have thrown a rod or something terrible by now, especially if it's been doing this for a while, which leads me to believe it's a vacuum leak.

You want to fix a vacuum leak, you have to do it with your ears. If it doesn't happen at idle, that might be a problem. Start playing with vacuum hoses, touching them will generally be enough to worsen a leak if there is one.. It's a long, annoying process but the only way I know of to track them down.

·
Pawn Shop Pro
466 Posts
Mine does the same thing but only in the mornings when it's first started and still cold. It does it for a little while and then quits. when people ask me what it is I tell them it's the supercharger...:tongue:

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
antz_tbird said:
Mine does the same thing but only in the mornings when it's first started and still cold. It does it for a little while and then quits. when people ask me what it is I tell them it's the supercharger...:tongue:
used that excuse more than once...hahah..

as for the leak how do i track it?...or where do i begin?...and yes it does happen at idle...from idle to like 2000rpm...and if i find it how do i fix it?..new tube?..repair it?..patch it up?..push it back in?

-Mike

·
Registered
921 Posts
This seems to be a problem with the 95's. mine does the same thing, but only on coooooold days. and cooooolds starts. Carb cleaner will help detect vacuum leaks... It may be leaking at earlier RPM's than 2000, it's just not enough air is flowing to create the "Whistle"

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mylittleblackbird said:
This seems to be a problem with the 95's. mine does the same thing, but only on coooooold days. and cooooolds starts. Carb cleaner will help detect vacuum leaks... It may be leaking at earlier RPM's than 2000, it's just not enough air is flowing to create the "Whistle"
well i just started my car up right now in california winter weather..*78 degrees* and i drove it around and it makes the whistle noise come in and out around 800rpm-2000rpm..its in that area that it makes the noise...and i have carb cleaner also but how can i use it to detect the leak?..and if i find it how do i fix it?

-Mike

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hose down those vacuum lines, around the intake, where ever air is involved with the induction. It should surge or stall. In regards to fixing.... just replace the line if you can. Why take chances with repairing old lines? Do it right the first time.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mylittleblackbird said:
Hose down those vacuum lines, around the intake, where ever air is involved with the induction. It should surge or stall.
i dont want it to stall or die on me now..hehe..and how does carb cleaner come in to play?

-Mike

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
the engine will surge if theres a leak, the carb cleaner goes into the vacum system and then into your engine, witch cuases a little more burn with increases the rpms, as in if you fire a cabred car up with it, the stuff nothing more then a really flamable degreaser

its not a bearing if its rpm related, but it could be a water pump, whats the squeek sound like more, like a deep squeek or like a really high pitched one, like something thats spinning?

any idling issues like, rough idle or are you geting crappy mpg?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts