TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
last week I went out to start my car (93 Tbird, 3.8 V6) & left for works & had white smoke just pouring out of the exhaust. It was about 65 outside so I know it wasnt to cold. After the car was drove for about 4-5miles or so, the smoke disappeared (Couldnt see it anyways) & every since then the temp gauge has been reading in the red. If I turn my heater on full blast & roll down the windows, it drops for a short time but returns back to the red or a little below it. Hot enough to make my red Check Gauges light come on in the Dash.

I have been burning ALOT of oil lately & cant seem to keep any Antifreeze / Water in the engine. All the hoses are fine as I cant see any leaks... Cant seem to pinpoint where the probly is exactly. My question is this...

What can cause white exhaust smoke, overheating, burning oil & loosing antifreeze?

Head Gasket, cracked head?

Also on occassion the car will run EXTREMELY rough at idle, almost to the point of dying if I keep my foot in the throttle. I repalced the IAC lately & it helped for a bit but when you put the car in gear & start driving it runs just fine, almost like while its at an idle its being flooded & trying to stall... Like i said, doesnt happen all the time, normally once maybe twice a week. Possible bad EGR Valve?

·
Super Moderator
12,413 Posts
Coolant in the combustion chamber burns off and causes the white smoke. The smoke disappears from the exhaust when all of the coolant is burned off.

You, my friend, have a blown head gasket. The V6 engines are notorious for blowing head gaskets.

Do not drive the car any more until you get this fixed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, is the head gasket hard to replace? I ask because this engine replaced the original one last year due to a faulty oil pump. Would it be easier to put a whole gasket set on my original engine, new oil pump & place it back in the car, or would it be easier to just replace the head gasket in the engine thats in the car now?

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Mark, Your original engine would require a tear down to be sure you don't have other damage from lack of oil.

I would say do the head gaskets on this engine. Have the heads checked for warpage. Make sure the mating surface is flat and smooth. Do not use torque-to-yield bolts to put the heads on. Use ARP head studs instead and the latest rev of FEL-PRO gaskets.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would replacing the head gaskets a really complicated job that would require an air compressor & major air tools or is it something I can do with some standard tools in the parking lot of my apartment. Asking to see if I need to drive it to my dads garage or not... :confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah I would absolutely send those heads off. They could use cleanin up anyway and Im sure they need to be straightened up a bit. Good advice PCD

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Without a doubt use the garage. The last thing you want is to have the car down at your apartment if you have to wait on a part you didn't expect to need or have to deal with mother nature dumping on you while you're working.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
As someone who has to work in an open driveway and is currently delayed by the rain this week, go to Dad's garage. HGs can be replaced on an N/A easy enough with hand tools, but power always makes it easier and faster.

Anyone got other tips like sensors he should replace long as he's torn it down that far?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about also repalcing intake & exhaust gaskets, egr valve, etc... basically all the gaskets on the top end. & yeah me & dad gonna tear it apart Saturday.

Can anyone else think of other "Preventative Maintenance" can be done?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Umm, you kinda HAVE to replace the upper and lower intake gaskets, as the ones you took off are already compressed/used.

I would probably do the valve cover gaskets while I'm there.

Jay

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Jay, Clean out the throttle body and the MAF. Also replace all that plastic colored vacuum lines with better hoses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts