TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 bird ran rough, blew white smoke out tailpipes, then shut off & would not crank. sat for 20 mins then started, but ran rough with no smoke. drove home and shut it off, will not crank again, no clicking like a bad starter, just tries to crank but stops short of actually cranking. any ideas?
Also not seeing any oil n the water, or water in the oil either.

·
Registered
158 Posts
have you checked the coolant in the radiator yet? id drain it to see. in a srt4 dodge i worked on once the kid blew a head gasket and the dip stick and coolant bottle checked out find but when i started to empty it through the radiator it was pure chocolate milk. not saying its the problem but worth the simple check.

almost every time i've dealt with white smoke out the exhaust its been water getting into the combustion chamber through somewhere. maybe a small crack along a water jacket only letting small amounts of coolant into the CC?

·
Registered
158 Posts
thinking the same thing lafayette. i know the plastic intake had an issue with the tube on the back but usually would just drip upfront. being an NPI motor though they used cast intakes though didn't they? Im not really familiar with the NPI motors so pardon my ignorance if im wrong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
blue95lx:I think they are all plastic, some had a aluminum cross over up front ? (Other than the Bullitt) Had the same problem with my 3.8L GM motor.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
From the description, it sounds as though it ingested enough coolant to hydrolock the engine. If you're unable to turn the crank by hand (with a socket and breaker bar), pull the plugs and try it again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
From the description, it sounds as though it ingested enough coolant to hydrolock the engine. If you're unable to turn the crank by hand (with a socket and breaker bar), pull the plugs and try it again.
i took the description as "turning over but not catching" but i could be wrong on that too lol. I've been working too much lately I feel rusty in the troubleshooting department.

lafayette, I thought the pi intake was the first to use the compression plastic? again im not very familiar with the npi motors. not to derail the original post but im curious... as knowledge is king when it comes to chiming in in the future trying to help out fellow enthusiasts! oh and 3.8 and 3.1s and their darn intake manifolds UGH! when i get the chance to turn some wrenches around here id say over 50% of the work i do is replacing these intakes. lots of gms around these parts in memphis.

·
Registered
70 Posts
blue95lx, compression plastic, or plastic there all the same to me. Never heard it referred to as compression plastic, I assume that it must be more ridged ? Back to the OP's car ...maybe pull the plugs and see if coolant ejects from the cylinders ?? Not from experience, but from reading, these intakes are prone to a number of failures,not sure if the 1997 is a PI intake, so on the bright side this may be a good time for a PI swap, gain a few ponies.

·
Registered
158 Posts
blue95lx, compression plastic, or plastic there all the same to me. Never heard it referred to as compression plastic, I assume that it must be more ridged ? Back to the OP's car ...maybe pull the plugs and see if coolant ejects from the cylinders ?? Not from experience, but from reading, these intakes are prone to a number of failures,not sure if the 1997 is a PI intake, so on the bright side this may be a good time for a PI swap, gain a few ponies.
It's the same thing. I was researching info on the pi and npi on the interwebs while I responded and was reading a haters article on his thoughts regarding the "new compression moulded style intakes being used" and it got stuck in my head. Sorry about that haha.

Back on track now, 99 started with the pi intake and I concur sounds like this is a great time to upgrade for the OP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts