TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a White XR7 currenlty on Ebay with only 55K miles and it looks like it's in really nice condition.

1997-Mercury-Cougar-1-OWNER-30TH-ANNIVERSARY-XR7-LOW-MILES-LEATHER-V8-RWD-NEW-TIRES

I have to say those front seats look really comfortable. I had no idea Ford offered those seats on the 96 and/or 97 Cougars. Are those basically the same as 94-95 SC seats?

For MN12's I've always been a much bigger fan of the Thunderbirds over the Cougars otherwise I think I'd strongly consider buying that Cougar. The Cougars always looked kind of old man-ish to me.

·
Super Moderator
7,485 Posts
Yes, those are the same as the 94/95 SC seats, only with the Cougar logo embroidered into them

I wonder what the reserve is. At $2500, that car would be a steal!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It is a nice car, provided the mileage is actual. With the odometer issues these cars have, I would not trust it until I drove it and watched the odometer move. Plus, you can tell the difference in the ride of these cars with low miles and high miles, a lot less rattles, etc.

EDIT: I just looked at the odometer, no way I would I go out of my way to look at the car. The trip ODO just happens to be on 000.5??

The reserve is probably in the $4k range. They probably paid ~$1500 or so for it at an auction. And you know it needs all the suspension parts, and maybe an intake manifold. Cars from a dealer always need stuff.

Al

·
Registered
622 Posts
Some things are nice and some things are fishy about that car. Its definitely sat by the sea. Lots of corrosion. Missing center caps..... Center caps were prolly corrosion city.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some things are nice and some things are fishy about that car. Its definitely sat by the sea. Lots of corrosion. Missing center caps..... Center caps were prolly corrosion city.
Yeah you're right, I didn't look really closely at the pictures last night but there is some definite corrosion on that car.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I was at the junker over the weekend there was a burgundy 30th anniversary. The passenger seat was perfect the driver was ok. I almost pulled them because I didn't want to see them crushed. I don't how many cars looked perfect on the computer screen , there are a lot flaws not shown on the screen.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Anyone else notice the rubber mallet being used to hold the hood open?

I think the light blue one on eBay is much nicer but I could be biased:grin2:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Look at the hood to bumper clearance, as in the space between the grille and the bumper, it's not consistent.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
At first glance and just looking at the numbers that car is nice. But the more you look at pictures (let alone physically looking at the car) things don't add up.

Hood needs an assist to stay up? My 89 Cougar has the original hood struts, and it has suffered through 2 head gasket repairs, and lots of hood up time.

missing center caps, chewed up airbag cover, weird marks on headliner, center console, much of the "chrome" is separating, the pot metal things are bubbling, and a lot of the body lines are off. I wonder what it looks like underneath. They only show the mufflers, and they are pretty cruddy.

Having said that, only thing that would keep me from thinking about it is the interior color (but that is the only color 30th anniversary cars came with). They aren't really asking an out of this world price for it, but seems a little high.

I looked at a 30th when I eventually got my 97 Cougar Sport, and I loved the seats (it has cloth and leather seats, it was an early 30th in DTR with the gold pillar emblem) but in the end the Sport was more what I was looking for.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On a semi related topic,would anyone ever pay $15,500 for a MN12 in 2016?. That's what this guy is asking on Craigslist for 97 Thunderbird with 17K (supposed) miles. It does look nice in the pictures but it appears to have almost no factory options.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

Here it is! 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX -- Virtually New -- 16,947 Mls -- All original, Original Owner -- 4.6Ltr V8 w/dual exhaust. Great options: Pwr windows/mirrors/locks/trunk, Keyless entry, automatic trans, Premium radio, Pwr driver seat, AC, Defrost, Chrome alloy wheels, rear spoiler, Cruise and tilt. All factory options. Interior is overall in New condition, no wear or fading at all, exterior body and paint are very much in new/show room condition. Tires are 80%. Has always been garaged and not driven in winter. No Rust. Undercoated by the dealer when new. Most likely will not come across another auto of this year in this condition and is now available for sale. Very near collector car status as it will be 20 years of age as of next fall. This was one of the last Thunderbirds made as Ford discontinued production in 1997, and was purchased as the last of the new orders were being taken by the dealer at that time. $15,500.

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
No. I think the pinnacle amount I'd shell out would be 7k and that's my dream combo value(based on my subjective desires on how It lines up with the way I would have equipped one had I been able to buy new). For $15k I've seen better for way less, and really to me the cream puff appeal is the clean shell and nothing more, in which case I'd rather take a faded but straight rust free $1,550 mn12 with some miles and give it all new paint, nos/restored trim and new headlights, and it would be as nice or better, yet still would cost less than half that figure total.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
no. I think the pinnacle amount i'd shell out would be 7k and that's my dream combo value(based on my subjective desires on how it lines up with the way i would have equipped one had i been able to buy new). For $15k i've seen better for way less, and really to me the cream puff appeal is the clean shell and nothing more, in which case i'd rather take a faded but straight rust free $1,550 mn12 with some miles and give it all new paint, nos/restored trim and new headlights, and it would be as nice or better, yet still would cost less than half that figure total.
+1.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
On a semi related topic,would anyone ever pay $15,500 for a MN12 in 2016?. That's what this guy is asking on Craigslist for 97 Thunderbird with 17K (supposed) miles.
There was a fully loaded 97 Sport for sale recently on my local Craigslist for $14,995, 61k miles. It was blue with some sort of a factory body kit. It was only on there for 2-3 weeks. He mentioned it might go to an auction.

I also would pay about half the asking price for these two cars. The value of a low mileage car is not high in my book.

With the MN12's, all the suspension is likely to need replaced. With all low mileage older cars, starting the car a couple times a month doesn't show up on the odometer. But it sure is not good for the engine - a cold start, then usually never getting to full operating temp.

The problem is, some people with these low mileage cars think they have gold.

Al

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No. I think the pinnacle amount I'd shell out would be 7k and that's my dream combo value(based on my subjective desires on how It lines up with the way I would have equipped one had I been able to buy new). For $15k I've seen better for way less, and really to me the cream puff appeal is the clean shell and nothing more, in which case I'd rather take a faded but straight rust free $1,550 mn12 with some miles and give it all new paint, nos/restored trim and new headlights, and it would be as nice or better, yet still would cost less than half that figure total.
I also would pay about half the asking price for these two cars. The value of a low mileage car is not high in my book.

With the MN12's, all the suspension is likely to need replaced. With all low mileage older cars, starting the car a couple times a month doesn't show up on the odometer. But it sure is not good for the engine - a cold start, then usually never getting to full operating temp.

The problem is, some people with these low mileage cars think they have gold.Al
I completely agree with both of you. And Al you hit the nail on the head with your comment about people thinking they have gold. One thing I've noticed over the years is that people assume that just because a car is old and in good condition, it automatically means it's a classic or collector car and that's just isn't the case. Actually I'm not even sure the sellers always even believe that, they just use those terms to try to reel in an uninformed buyer and I'm sure there are times that it actually works.

Here's the way I look at it... If someone buys that $15K Thunderbird and a month later they get rear ended & the car is totaled, the insurance company isn't going to care that they paid $15K for that car. The car is probably valued about $2,000 - $3,000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts