Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know who can recal a MAF??

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So if I have a 02 MAF that was on a Saleen that had #30 injectors (surpercharged) then you just have to cal it for #19 injectors no SC and use the 02 mustang fuel tables?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
if you need a tune, just tell lonnie EXACTLY what maf you have, he can figure it out from there.

you might want to cross reference the PN with Jason to make sure you know exactly what it is.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah Lonnie mostly likes to use the 02 stock mustang MAF....I wonder how I could find out what injector was used in the 02 Saleen?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so if I have the 02 mustang MAF that I am talking about and the tune for it then this setup should work for me.

My car has #19.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
so if I have the 02 mustang MAF that I am talking about and the tune for it then this setup should work for me.

My car has #19.
look, dont sweat the details, thats lonnies job. As long as you know EXACTLY what maf you have, a proper tune can be created.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Pro-M used to 'calibrate' their MAFs for whatever size injector you had. I believe it potentially "matches" the MAF signal with the injector size to correlate with the stock MAF signal teamed up with the stock injectors.
it does nothing more than lie to the EEC.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
it does nothing more than lie to the EEC.
Not true. The MAF signal is not a true measurement of the air volume per se, just a representative signal proportionate to the amount of air flow through the MAF housing. However that signal is not necessarily directly linear to the change in flow.

The stock EEC calibration is specific to the vehicle drivetrain. With the vehicle specifics known, it is then possible match the actual values to the expected values. When I received my MAF from Pro-M it came with a flow sheet showing the actual test values of that specific meter.

Much like the the anenometers we use at work to measure air flow. Each velocity range from low to high has a 'correction factor', specific to the individual instrument, which is then applied to value of the flow reading prior to the calculations to determine air volumes.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
No, it was true. The ‘Lie’ moniker is exactly correct. Most people just don’t see any manifestation of the error generated by using a ‘derived maf signal’ either by using a C&L or Pro-M but it is there lurking under the surface. Interoperability should probably be the first thing that drives anyone away from the pro-m arrangement. I like the piece of mind that comes from being able to get a replacement maf, should I need one, at any ford dealership across the country, cheap. Add to that the fact that, and this is a unique situation to me and a few other folks around here, my digital dash information is accurate and correct, a feat that couldn’t be done using a derived signal maf. Obviously my suggestion is to get a ford maf and get a Blue Oval Chips tune.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the great input, I have a SCT tuner(XCAL2) so the tune is no problem they are great there figuring things out.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
No, it was true. The ‘Lie’ moniker is exactly correct. Most people just don’t see any manifestation of the error generated by using a ‘derived maf signal’ either by using a C&L or Pro-M but it is there lurking under the surface. Interoperability should probably be the first thing that drives anyone away from the pro-m arrangement. I like the piece of mind that comes from being able to get a replacement maf, should I need one, at any ford dealership across the country, cheap. Add to that the fact that, and this is a unique situation to me and a few other folks around here, my digital dash information is accurate and correct, a feat that couldn’t be done using a derived signal maf. Obviously my suggestion is to get a ford maf and get a Blue Oval Chips tune.
:zwthstpd:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That is correct, even though the Pro M is calibrated for a curtain flow it is still not calibrated properly for the EEC. It will still skew the voltage out making the EEC think there is less air flow coming in. This will through off the load and CI calibrations. When this happens you have it looking at the wrong fuel and spark tables. Smaller CI will give it more spark most of the time. This is how they make more power, lean it out and more spark.

What needs to be done with these meters is the tuner needs to build the correct calibrations for it so everything works correctly. This takes a lot of time.

As for injector size, those that claim to be calibrated for a # inj fall into the same as above. The only real calibration is in the EEC not the MAF.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.