TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm sorry. i meant does anyone have 'one' twin turbo setup? not just 'one' turbo.

·
Registered
169 Posts
on a 5.0 or a 3.8 I dont see any problem with mounting one, or a twin turbo setup up front. I havent messed w/ a 4.6 thunderbird to really say anything. There is a turbo "Sc" on V6power and i'm sure its on sccoa. I dont see what the major issue is with running a turbo setup on a 3.8 or a 5.0...theres plenty of room..well there might be a problem w/ the turbo headers...but if you can find someone to make them for ya...then i dont see a problem.

Now for you guys with a 4.6...I dont see how you guys even can get around those things...4.6's are some monsters of a motor...

·
Registered
825 Posts
187bird said:
on a 5.0 or a 3.8 I dont see any problem with mounting one, or a twin turbo setup up front. I havent messed w/ a 4.6 thunderbird to really say anything. There is a turbo "Sc" on V6power and i'm sure its on sccoa. I dont see what the major issue is with running a turbo setup on a 3.8 or a 5.0...theres plenty of room QUOTE]
you say funny things there is very little room under the hood of the things it not even funny

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
187bird said:
on a 5.0 or a 3.8 I dont see any problem with mounting one, or a twin turbo setup up front. I havent messed w/ a 4.6 thunderbird to really say anything. There is a turbo "Sc" on V6power and i'm sure its on sccoa. I dont see what the major issue is with running a turbo setup on a 3.8 or a 5.0...theres plenty of room..well there might be a problem w/ the turbo headers...but if you can find someone to make them for ya...then i dont see a problem.

Now for you guys with a 4.6...I dont see how you guys even can get around those things...4.6's are some monsters of a motor...
The 5.0 will be the easiest, because the engine is narrower than the 3.8 or the 4.6. If you remove the air pump there is enough room for a rather large single on the passenger side. If you delete the AC, relocate the battery and power distribution box there is room for twins. Front mount IC and related cold side piping is easier on a single but with the correct intercooler twins are possible, just more difficult.

Here's some pictures of my 93 SC with a dart block 347 and single T-76 turbo. I've been working on this car for more than 2 years...trust me it wasn't easy.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=502404&postcount=16

David

·
Registered
169 Posts
I really dont see what i said was funny dwinthrup...I have the fuse box moved, the battery is in the trunk, and I took out the AC on my car....I have plenty of room. No ac condensor in front of the radiator, plenty of room for the intercooler, run the turbos off each header, run the piping to the intercooler and up to the throttle body, then run the exhaust pipes out. If need be, convert to a manual rack and do away with the power steering and you got even more room on the driver's side. For a street car that might not be the best option, but if you just must do a twin setup(over a single), and need the extra room,I think it would be worth it personally.

* If i'm wrong...please excuse me, i'm just a 17 year old kid and trying to learn as I go, and if what i say is wrong, so be it and i'll learn from it.*

·
Registered
190 Posts
David Neibert said:
The 5.0 will be the easiest, because the engine is narrower than the 3.8 or the 4.6. If you remove the air pump there is enough room for a rather large single on the passenger side. If you delete the AC, relocate the battery and power distribution box there is room for twins. Front mount IC and related cold side piping is easier on a single but with the correct intercooler twins are possible, just more difficult.

Here's some pictures of my 93 SC with a dart block 347 and single T-76 turbo. I've been working on this car for more than 2 years...trust me it wasn't easy.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=502404&postcount=16

David
Hey, if you know how to weld and move things, especially the AC and battery, its just a matter of time and finding the right turbo :cool:

jOe

p.s. that 347 is bad ***

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
david, i have to ask, was it worth all the work? i am capable of the fabrication, but is the end product worth it?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
jk89cat said:
david, i have to ask, was it worth all the work? i am capable of the fabrication, but is the end product worth it?
Depends on what you mean by "worth it ".

From a financial standpoint...No.

From a personal sastisfaction standpoint... Yes.

David

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
dwinthrup said:
187bird said:
on a 5.0 or a 3.8 I dont see any problem with mounting one, or a twin turbo setup up front. I havent messed w/ a 4.6 thunderbird to really say anything. There is a turbo "Sc" on V6power and i'm sure its on sccoa. I dont see what the major issue is with running a turbo setup on a 3.8 or a 5.0...theres plenty of room QUOTE]
you say funny things there is very little room under the hood of the things it not even funny
try working on a 4.6, the 3.8 and 5.0 have TONS and TONS of room compared to the 4.6

1 - 16 of 16 Posts