TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My, soon to be, wife and I are purchasing a house. One of the first additions to the house is going to be a privacy fence. We will be fencing in probably 1/4 to half an acre. I am just curious if anyone has some pointers for me, when I go to install the fence pieces. Should I rent any digging tools? Also, where would be the best/cheapest place to buy the fence pieces?

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
1. Rent a POWER post hole digger
2. Have alcohol ready to imbibe when you start pricing fencing materials. :redmad:
3. Set the posts in concrete (the redi-mix for posts is pretty good, IMHO)
4. Invest in good drugs… muscle pain killers!! (trust me on this one!!)
5. Use good gloves and eye protection
6. Use good tools
7. Use good galvanized nails/screws unless you want rust runs.

Those are just off the top of my head. Have fun!!! :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
1. Rent a POWER post hole digger
2. Have alcohol ready to imbibe when you start pricing fencing materials. :redmad:
3. Set the posts in concrete (the redi-mix for posts is pretty good, IMHO)
4. Invest in good drugs… muscle pain killers!! (trust me on this one!!)
5. Use good gloves and eye protection
6. Use good tools
7. Use good galvanized nails/screws unless you want rust runs.

Those are just off the top of my head. Have fun!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Wanna help? heheh

Thank you for the tips. I will most definitely be renting a tool. However, I didn't know I had to embed them in concrete. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I just thought you had to dig a hole, put the posts in, and cover them up. I guess that is WAY off eh?

-Kornhaus

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Yeah if you want it to stay up. You can buy premade sections but it is FAR FAR cheaper to build you own.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I would also HIGHLY suggest you find out what the city/counnty/state codes are. They change OFTEN!!! There are things like, "It has to be on the property line, or it has to be within 1' of the property line, it has to be xx" high with a spacing of the boards zz" apart". blah, blah, blah, blah... It will drive you insane! :redmad:

You don't have to put them in concrete, but it is a lot better and will make the fence a lot better in the long run.

You also might search on the internet on "how to install a privacy fence". :thumbsup:

For example... http://www.ehow.com/how_14382_install-board-fence.html

Or I'm sure Hope Depot/Lowes and such have a cheap manual/book on that subject. Or if all else fails, check them out at the **gasp** Library. :thumbsup:

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
I would also HIGHLY suggest you find out what the city/counnty/state codes are. They change OFTEN!!! There are things like, "It has to be on the property line, or it has to be within 1' of the property line, it has to be xx" high with a spacing of the boards zz" apart". blah, blah, blah, blah... It will drive you insane! :redmad:
i agree 100% because here for example you also need an ok from your neighbor to do it....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
timb said:
Yeah if you want it to stay up. You can buy premade sections but it is FAR FAR cheaper to build you own.
Yes, we will be purchasing the "premade fence sections". I doubt it would save that much money. Currently, Lowes is selling 6' x 8' sections for $42ish. That is ready to be installed into the ground. So if I built my own, after purchasing the nails, wood, and everything else, it would probably save me 50 bucks or so. And the labor of putting everything together would not justify saving that little amount.

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You don't have to put them in concrete, but it is a lot better and will make the fence a lot better in the long run.

You also might search on the internet on "how to install a privacy fence". :thumbsup:

For example... http://www.ehow.com/how_14382_install-board-fence.html

Or I'm sure Hope Depot/Lowes and such have a cheap manual/book on that subject. Or if all else fails, check them out at the **gasp** Library. :thumbsup:
Yes, we will check with the local laws/ordinace first.

Thanks!

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mn12xr7 said:
i agree 100% because here for example you also need an ok from your neighbor to do it....
Screw my neighbors! It is my house, not theirs. heheh

Plus, one of my neighbors already has a privacy fence. SO I am sure it wont be a problem!

-Kornhaus

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
It's funny to see this thread today because i am repairing mine today!
We have to build our fences very strong to support the weight of our falling trees!

Which, in turn, preconditions the fence for the next storm.

If we ever see another hurricane (or 2 in 2 weeks) it will be too soon!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
You don't need to rent an auger. Just be sure your ground is well saturated before you dig the holes. Also remember, the bigger the hole, the more concrete it takes.

Also, it doesn't matter what the neighber thinks, its your yard, not theirs. If they b1tch, move 1 inch closer on your property.

Try to find ALUMINUM nails. galvanized will rust eventually.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
badbird95 said:
…Also, it doesn't matter what the neighbor thinks, its your yard, not theirs. If they b1tch, move 1 inch closer on your property..
I beg to differ with you on that point!!! I know many people that have taken that attitude and had to tear out shrubs, fences, storage buildings, etc. It all depends on the neighborhood. I can’t for the life of me remember what the “code” is called, but it usually isn’t a problem unless you’re moving into an upscale neighborhood.

I’ve seen some “codes” that state what color you are “allowed” to paint your house!!! Or what type of trees you’re “allowed” to plant!!! :beek:

That is why I’ll never live in a neighborhood like that. :redmad: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Agreed! It is VERY different from state to state, county to county, neighborhood to neighborhood. :thumbsup:

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I’ve seen some “codes” that state what color you are “allowed” to paint your house!!! Or what type of trees you’re “allowed” to plant!!! :beek:
Thats how it is in the city I live in. I had to bring a sample of the color for them to approve it before anything could be painted.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
I have to redo my fence soon also.I was looking at Lowes and they have that plastic fence that I am looking into.Its not some cheap a$$ stuff, its actually heavy duty.Plus it never needs to be painted and wont fall apart.Just a suggestion as it is expensive, like 68 bucks for a 6x6 piece.
Chris

·
Registered
663 Posts
The one piece of advice I see missing here is the most important one...

GET A SURVEY OF YOUR PROPERTY BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK OF TOUCHING A SHOVEL!!!!

Check out the "Neighbors and Boundries" board over at http://www.freeadvice.com and you will quickly understand why you must get a survey.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I don't know how it is in GA, but in Ohio, you have to get a survey when you buy a house. You also have to watch out for those special "paint color/fences/out building" ordinances in areas designated as historic districts too, not just new, upscale neighborhoods. So, if you're buying a big old handyman special, you might want to check that out too.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
A trick with the concrete here...if you get the bagged stuff, simply pour it dry into the hole with the post, the moisture from the ground will wet it enough and it will harden. Little less work and a good sturdy post to boot.

Joe

·
Registered
418 Posts
badbird95 said:
You don't need to rent an auger. Just be sure your ground is well saturated before you dig the holes. Also remember, the bigger the hole, the more concrete it takes.
he lives in GA...red clay.
rent an auger!

i put up a fence using panels...here are my notes:

measure the posts so the panel ends hit them dead center.
dump the sackcrete right in the hole...half a bag per post...full bag for corner...maybe more if its either side of a gate.
you have to anchor the post while it sets...use rocks you doig up or 2x4 to prop them up.
set all your posts the first day, run panels the second day.
sink the posts so they are just over the top of the fence panel, you can trim the tops at the end to even them up.
buy a beeswax toliet bowl gasket...crunch it into a bowl and stick your galvanized 2in deck screws in it....it will help lube the screw and make it easy to drive. battery lasts longer too.
in GA i called Mrs Dig i think it was; they came by and marked underground cable, telephone, gas an power lines. and its free.

good luck...thats a big job
bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts