TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 92 bird with the 5.0 who here has done there with a supercharger?

what kits are out there /and ideas

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
25svo said:
i went that route already
and what happend?? btw i believe they are the only ones that make a 'kit' for the tbirds. if you want to do anything for these cars its never a kit you always have to fab it in.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dunno but my buddy swapped in a mustang motor as i did for the forged,
he used his brackets and went with a novi 2000 complete plug in play but hes off in the war and his car is somewhere overseas
so i cant refer to that for the space issuses

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 5.0 vortech supercharger. You can view it on lonnie's blueovalchips.com website. Lots of fab work but now everything is perfect. Lonnie had a writeup on it in the tech articles. It really is an expensive adventure. Because of the extra power a lot of other things need to be upgraded and other things fail. I am selling my tbird now that has a brand new engine that supports the supercharger and a T-56 tranny that was just put in as well. It is running better than it ever did before. 377hp and 370 tq to the wheels. Should have it officially on sale shortly in the papers and internet.

·
Super Moderator
3,594 Posts
What are you looking for specifically? You've given a lot of short, simple replies to everyone that has replied but you still haven't given much information. What are you trying to accomplish? What is your budget?

·
Registered
825 Posts
and whats up with the kenne bell kit i was thinking of going that route but the no longer have the kit:(

·
Registered
476 Posts
dwinthrup said:
and whats up with the kenne bell kit i was thinking of going that route but the no longer have the kit:(
Of course after i find out about it they discontinue the kit. What was in the kit any way i can't imagine it was anything different then a mustang kit considering it was eec4.

Will

·
Super Moderator
3,594 Posts
The bottom line is that there is no kit for the 5.0 MN12. The "easiest" thing to do these days is to get a 94-95 Mustang alternator bracket and then adapt the Vortech kit for a 94-95 Mustang. You are going to have to fab some parts and you may have to change the hood. That's life with these cars. It's very doable but it will take some work on your end.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well there was a kenne bell kit out there so it clearly must have been a "bolt" on design so that leads me to believe that the 5.0l birds are relativiely easy to supercharge minus brackets and things of that nature. Personally i would go kenne bell anyway becuase there are no brackets to fab its just bolt on and go plus i think the kenne bell is the better design anyway.

Will

·
Super Moderator
3,594 Posts
mechman1984 said:
Well there was a kenne bell kit out there so it clearly must have been a "bolt" on design so that leads me to believe that the 5.0l birds are relativiely easy to supercharge minus brackets and things of that nature. Personally i would go kenne bell anyway becuase there are no brackets to fab its just bolt on and go plus i think the kenne bell is the better design anyway.

Will
Apparently they don't make that kit anymore. In any event it's all a matter of perspective. The KB kit was a roots blower. If you want the down low power then that's the kit for you. Since it replaces your entire intake manifold I'm not so sure how easy it really is but it is certainly different.

·
Registered
825 Posts
MaddMartigan said:
Since it replaces your entire intake manifold I'm not so sure how easy it really is but it is certainly different.
just the top half and you got to choose gt 40 or stock lower. like i said i was looking into it:D procrastination sucks:rolleyes:

·
Registered
200 Posts
KB Mustang vs. Thunderbird 5.0 Kit

What would the major differences be between these two kits (hood clearance aside)? If I wanted to maintain the A/C, what other considerations would you need to make if you wanted to install this supercharger?

·
Registered
536 Posts
My 93 LX was, I believe, the second supercharged 5.0 Thunderbird at the time. I used an adaptation of the Mustang Powerdyne kit. I converted the car to use an 89-93 Mustang GT EEC and used an Autologic chip. The car ran pretty good. If I had it to do over, however, I would use the Kenne-Bell blower for better part throttle torque. It should not be that difficult to adapt the 89-93 Mustang kit to your car.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 24 Posts