TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who here rebuild the engine and transmission?

I am thinking of rebuild the engine and transmission.
Is it hard to do it myself?

When I do the rebuild I will put a supercharger.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
rebuilding engines is easy...

tranny's suck

Can't answer the supercharger issue

·
Registered
325 Posts
Given the Time, Tools and Money, you can do it. I would rely on a knowledgable machine shop(check their work) and a good manual(Haynes type) and ask lots of questions right here. Always buy the best quality parts and supplies. I have a 289 that I built over 12 years ago. I ran it for three years and then it sat, for about ten years. Well, I lightly oiled the plug holes and changed the fluids. I fired it up and it runs great. That was last October and it still runs like when I rebuilt it over 12 years ago. No leaks and no burning oil. I say if you have the T T M, then go for it and that goes for the tranny too. I have rebuilt many and they are still working.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
tranny's dont suck, they just scare people because people dont know anything about them. They're realistically very simple in design, especially the AOD. If you buy a tranny repair booklet it'll be cake. Same with the engine, buy a chiltons manual and it'll be easy. Just keep every bolt in a ziplock bag and mark where it goes. I usually group them like, lower intake bolts go into one bag. Are you looking to completely rebuild your engine and tranny? New clutch packs, seals, etc in the tranny, and new piston rings, rod and main bearings, new cam, rockers, etc in the engine? Thats a pretty major overhaul and would take a lot of time and money.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I have the Ford Manauls so rebuilding will be a piece of cake, once get past the scare.
But honestly take your time follow directions and you should be fine if are inclined to this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts