TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I installed my upper control arms (greasable Moogs) I had to get a grease gun and grease. I tried to find silicone grease because I have read threads on here that said petroleum based ones will destroy rubber. I could not find any in the auto stores I went to so I ended up purchasing some general purpose grease (I think it was lithium based). Is this stuff going to destroy my bushings? That was my problem in the first place.

Where can I get silicon grease? Can you normally find this in an autostore? Also, would you recommend pumping new grease in them? The bushing is tight with grease now. I am not sure if I pumped a lot in if it would just squirt out the bottom of the bushing, or if there is a risk the bushing could pop.

While we are on the subject, what about dielectric grease? Is it the same as silicone? I am pretty sure I have ready people put that on battery connectors. Is that done after the connection is made? If not, wouldn't the dialectric grease insulate the post from the terminal. I've also read people put in the spark plug boot (like this when I searched "dielectric grease" on google) I see the same problem.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Dielectric grease is silicone, and it can be applied before or after making electrical connections. Usually I apply a little bit, then more on top for exposed terminals like batteries.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts