TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious who makes the best quality cobra r style hood for the 89-93 thunderbird as of today. All the searching and posts that i have found are very dated. My car is currently in the body shop getting repainted and I would like to go with a cobra r hood but if im going to spend close to $600.00 for a hood i would like to get something that requires the least amount of modifications.
Any info would be helpful
thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
I don't think anyone makes a Cobra R hood for the 89-93, only for the 94/95 or 96/97. For the 89-93, I think your only options are the Mach1 style, or a regular 2" cowl induction hood.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Supercoupe Performance is the only place that i know of for hoods...

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
http://fiberpartsconcepts.com/1298488.html

Those guys make a few different types of hood. They do offer a 89-93 Cobra R. I can't vouch for quality.
I can vouch for quality. I have one. It is a quality hood.

IMHO Fiber Concepts is the ONLY place to buy your hood from.

Supercoupe Performance (SCP) sources their hoods from Fiber Concepts. Eliminate the middle man and buy direct.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Looks like SCP has $50+ boxing fee plus minimum $125 shipping. So factor that in as well. I'm not sure the extra costs with Fiber Concepts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
according to google maps SCP is only 2 hours away from me. maybe i can make a roadtrip and save the shipping if they handle Fiber Concepts product. I wonder if they have hoods in stock where i can look at one in person

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
I doubt it. The hoods are built by Fiber Concepts when ordered. They're not kept in inventory.

But it doesn't hurt to call ahead and ask.

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
The boxing fee from Fiber Concepts is $55 and I live one state away and shipping is ~$206 to my door. Sounds like about ~$900 for a hood and I still have to fit and paint it.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Did you call and ask Bill at Supercoupe if he had one in stock?

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
Did you call and ask Bill at Supercoupe if he had one in stock?
When I've asked in the past he did not have them in stock. I wouldn't expect him to stock something like this due to the high cost and even if he did you're still going to incur these costs because he does already. To further the idea, why would he ship these parts twice? It's just going to cost you even more.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Which brings us back to post #5 ...

... Eliminate the middle man and buy direct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did.
Wouldn't have saved much.
The source is FiberConcepts.
Ships out of Pennsylvania and can be VERY expensive.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
It's a - very large - specialty item for a 20ish year old car that requires freight shipping. Yes, it's going to be expensive. Relatively speaking, compared to any other quality fiberglass hood I'd say the price is comparable.

Rob and I bought ours together and saved some by having two made at the same time and shipped to the same place.

Some savings is better than no savings or actually paying more than you need to.

You either want it or you don't. You can either afford it or you can't. There is no middle ground...

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
LOL :tongue:

... and they're already paid for!

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I wish I could run a stock hood- even after cutting the bracing, the Bullitt intake still wouldn't clear...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts