·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
''We still have a small issue with the product cost....''

Ya think? A 50% price increase for a 2 mpg and a 10% reduction in CO2 from an engine you won't know is running. First EFI, now electronic valve trains? Geez, I'm getting too old for this. I guess it'll be even harder to mod a vehicle. Now what'd I do with that flathead manual I was reading....

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
:rofl: :rofl:

I love it when a profound "discovery" is made.... Titanium valves are lighter and take less energy to move... " Ya think! :leftright:

And they have been using titanium valves in racing engines since when? I know at least the 60's. :D

Seriously though, the latest problem yet to be overcome in the "camless" engine is the heat soaking of the electromagnetic valve actuators. Have they solved that problem yet? :2huh:

·
Registered
890 Posts
It may be harder to mod the vehicle entirely on your own, but look how easy it is to change the programming in the computer now to control things ranging from the transmission to fuel to spark. Add valve timing to the mix and you have even more control over how your engine works.

One problem, we may need 10+ position flip chips for all the combinations!!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Seriously though, the latest problem yet to be overcome in the "camless" engine is the heat soaking of the electromagnetic valve actuators. Have they solved that problem yet?
By heat soaking do you mean that they overheat from being in close proximity to the motor? It seems that you could solve that by moving the actual sensor onside the valve covers with a small pushrod (ok, ok, I know, ancient technology to solve a new problem!!!)

If that's not what you mean, please elaborate.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
From what I've read, it's a combination effect. The major issue is the engine heat, but also the constant current flow at sustained high rpm which just doubles the problem.

And if you start moving them away, with pushrods, etc, you defeat the purpose of the lightweight valves.

There has been some research into spherical ceramic cams that has no moving parts, but rather just rotates with opening and closing ports, but it seems to have not gone anywhere. I can't remember what it was, but it seemed like a very good idea over the solenoid type valve actuation.

I personally think anything that has to stop and change directions is just silly. :leftright

And yes, I'm a fan of turbine engines. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
if there are still problems with it, there is still plenty of room for research, or even better, an out-of-the-box new idea.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
:rofl: I've been discussing that concept with a buddy of mine since high school!!! (late 70's/early 80's) Do you want me to post the drawings I have of the "port shaft" that I was working on... :leftright

And a quote I made (he'll vouch for this) that I made in ‘81: Quote: "The concept of a distributor is asinine!! The amount of energy required to jump two gaps, one at the distributor and then at the plug is a waste. Why not just put a coil on each plug and fire it with low voltage? That way the coil could be smaller, but provide a stronger charge because it could charge 8 times longer than it does now”. Unquote!!

Gee, sound familiar?!?! :mad:

He still teases me about that. Yep, I haven’t been getting respect for years. :rofl:

·
Registered
52 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
:rofl: I've been discussing that concept with a buddy of mine since high school!!! (late 70's/early 80's) Do you want me to post the drawings I have of the "port shaft" that I was working on... :leftright
I, too, had been thinking about "camless" engines in high school (late 80's for me). I even drew up designs (more like doodles). The ideas I had were based on electromagnetic actuators. The biggest problems I could see with the whole concept were that the solenoids would have to be very powerful (and therefore draw a lot of current) to open and close the valves at the speeds required in an engine and the noise factor. On a 16-valve, four cylinder engine you'd have 16 large, powerful solenoids clicking away. Lotsa noise.

Another thing I thought about was wear. With a normal valve a spring closes it. The spring kind of acts as a shock absorber to limit how hard the valve hits the seat. With a solenoid closing the valve it would hit hard, causing the valve to "tulip" after time.

The idea of an infinitely variable lift, duration and overlap valvetrain does sound appealing though...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
We'd need to switch to 42V power before we can add the electronic valvetrain... but it's coming, and soon.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
890 Posts
42 VOLTS..........................

c'mon on Shadow, you're usually quicker than that!!

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
5 1/4 valves.... now THAT'S movin some air! :thumbsup:

You design it, I'll buy it :D

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
naw, I'd want a 10 cylinder modular for big displacement, then it's 4.2 valves per cylinder... get it straight guys!:tongue:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts