TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
A friend of my parent's did. Basically it was a real pain in the azz. Parking it was a nightmare and forget about gas milage in one of those. She ended up unloading it for way less than she paid.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
you're nuts mark

I used to work at a RV dealership and trust me, unless you are willing to drop at least 250k, whatever you get is gonna be crap

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
they are not that bad, you have to keep in mind what they are

·
Honorary Member
133 Posts
I bought one in 83 used it traveled across the country twice when I worked for Bechtel Corp. overheated the trans in the desert and got tooted by amco in Vagas other that that it was a blast, It is now at a friends house we are going to redo the insides the park it out at the land for a cabin then a guest house. it's a 26 footer class "A". They are work but it is nice to sleep in your own bed and cheaper than a hotel if you like to travel. There is a used one in Greensboro that I just told a friend about he going to look at for $6200. it's a 28 or 30. You can get some good deals if your willing to look around, and wait.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
My folks own a '63 Ideal 17 foot trailer. It has a toilet, a kitchen, and beds. It's not a motel room, but you don't have to sleep on the ground, you don't have to walk to the bathroom or out in the woods to take a leak in the middle of the night, and if it rains you don't get wet. I think if you go in to it with the idea of "boy this beats a tent", it's harder to be disappointed by buying used. A friend of mine has a 40-foot motorhome with 3 tipouts, lots of luxo options, and guess what? It has a toilet, kitchen, and beds. (And an Xbox, but, well, who plays Xbox when they go camping?)

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
mark, get a pull behind and pull it with the batmobile!!

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Hey Mark-I think KD has his Class A RV for sale...I know we discussed him selling it a little while back. I'm pretty sure it's a 90's model Chevrolet 454 powered machine.Pulled the Lightning on the car hauler to the track with no problems.
JL

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
My grandfather had a 30 footer with Dodge 440 power. He drove it from the Florida Keys to Alaska EVERY summer. Considering the miles he put on it, he didnt have too much trouble with it. He'd stop here in KS and let Dads shop do regular maintenence on it on the way up and on the way back.

I think they're like any other vehicle. Regular maintenence and you should be all right.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i must mention, i wouldnt own a motorhome. i prefer trailers . my current is a 1987 rockwood 10 ft pop up , soon to be airconditioned, heated :) now all i need is a water heater and a fridge!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Rv

I had a (new then) 1976 Coachmen 21' Leprechan. Ford Chassis with a 351 W, auto and 4.10 gears. I loved it, was fun did all I asked of it, but didn't get great mileage. I'd buy another Class A or Class B again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there. I had a 97 Storm 26 foot class A on the GM chassis and it ran well but was not an enjoyable vehicle to drive. I think the chassis was a bit small for the camper and it like to wander around alot on the highway. Usually had to have both hands on the wheel just to keep it in it's lane and I even had it aligned and it did not help. I traded it on a 2000 coachman class C on a Ford E350 chassis which was pleasant to drive. I would take whatever you are interested in out on the highway to make sure it drives the way you like. I personally would not own another class A on the GM chassis. I hear the Ford class A chassis drives better but I am sold on class C's on the Ford chassis.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
c class is easier to find parts for too chassis wise

1 - 14 of 14 Posts