Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Never used it.....

Votes: 7 53.8%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a loud pop at higher volumes, don't know if it's the amp or the sub.....give me opinions

·
Registered
933 Posts
i have a 300.1 and if i listen carefully i can hear a slight click, thud, whatever when i shut it off
but it don't bother me, i drop the volume when i shut down so its quiet when i start up

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
I think its something wrong with your amp.. I have a power acoustik SPL series 1200 watt amp, and i push it VERY HARD every day.. after about 3 months of it, I have a thud whenever I change stations, or whenever I change to another CD, along with turning the CD player on and OFF. I should send it in for warranty work but that means Shipping costs =)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have it...

...And I havent really had any problems with it. I push mine pretty hard, and it sounds good. I think that I need better subs though. I have already gone from Vegas to Bostwicks. The Vegas that I had sucked. I probably went through 3 subs. Anyway, I have been pretty happy with the JBL series amps. I have the 1200.1 and also an 80.4.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's probably the sub. What subs are they?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I've been running once since they first came out, back then NO one knew the capability of them, they were like "oh, JBL" in a 'who-cares' voice. Then when they heard it their attitude changed. I'm also running an 80.4 in my Sport along side the 1200.1 and in my LX I'm running an 80.4 for my 6x8's up front.

-Josh

·
Registered
230 Posts
You still running that amp?

...OkcBird is the one that convinced me to go with the 1200.1. I had a smaller sub amp, and when he told me how the 1200.1 hit, I decided to go ahead and use the same on. Since then I have also gone with the 80.4. You remember that OK?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Ya, it's been a while since I've talked to you Nick. Nice setup you got there, glad your happy with them, I'll soon have pictures for everyone in my new setup in my Sport.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Suggestion

Its probably your source unit...or something in between it. Are you running a aftermarket deck? Do you have a EQ or some factory processor running between the amp and the deck? If you have a aftermarket deck...with sub pre-outs...make sure theyre not touching the chassis or any metal in the back of the deck. If you have a EQ...try it without the EQ...Ive ran into this problem with a couple of cars...once in my SC...on a newer Alpine (CDA-7873 I think) come to find out...my RCAs behind the deck were touching the mounting chassis...ended up grounding them out and sending it in for repair...other car was a 90 eclipse...running a aftermarket deck to the stock in-dash eq...removed the EQ and everything was fine...just remember...less is better...the more you add...the more noise your going to get...try to stay away from the cheaper brands.

My old setup (click here)

My Current Setup: (like anyone cares....)
HU: Clarion Drx9575rz
DSP: Clarion DPH7500
Fontstage: 5 1/4" Nakamichi seperates (soon to be HCCA 5s, got em...too lazy to install)
Rearfill: Soundstream B52 coaxilles
Sub: 1 Adire Audio Shiva in a 2.1 cu ft sealed enclosure
High/Mid amp: Alpine v12 4ch (maybe switching to my Nakamichi Pa304...laziness factor again)
Sub amp: JBL BP1200.1 running 600 watts at 4 ohms
Power: Lightning Audio 1 Farad Strike cap....and a Energizer Battery

Sean McL

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have installed dozens of the JBL power series amps, and while some have their problems the only car I have experienced any popping in is my own... what that loud thud when u change sources or turn the head unit on and off is a turn off pop and it means u have a bad ground, check your ground, maybe uprage to thicker ground cable, check yoru connections on the terminals of the amp... the jbl's are sensitive to that since they draw a sh!tload of power, and as far as popping at loud voumes is probably your sub bottoming out!

·
Registered
28 Posts
What about mids and highs??? do they pop also? Check all your grounds as stated above. Since you said sub im assuming your running only one. Check the wiring to the sub itself and the wires leading to the voicecoil. You didnt specify what subyour using. Try dropping the gain on your amp to see if the noise goes away. You may be clipping and causing the sub to make the noise. But its possible the sub is on its way out (been there done that). Im glad to see people are happy with the p80.4, i want to get one for mids and highs in my X.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a bp 1200.1 at 1 ohm and it sucked there. it might be better a 2 but at 1 it sucked it wouldent stay on at loud volumes it switchet it self to protect mode and i never dropped below 11.5 volts. i would not use it agin but i am not going for quality just loud.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Haha, never dropped below 11.5? Dude your stuff should be at 14.4, also by the looks of it you drive an older Blazer, if so I hope you've upgraded that stock alternator as it couldn't handle half of the JBL on it's own alone (and that's not accounting accessory load) so of course you can't pull power where there isn't power to begin with, the JBL is a great amplifier. But you're not going to pull power from thin air.

·
Registered
60 Posts
okcbird said:
Then something is wrong if you're dropping to 11.5 volts.

I agree. You have some major electrical issues somewhere along the line if you were dropping to 11.5v with that alt. You may want to upgrade the big 3 grounds under the hood (alt, frame, block) and change the pos. wire from your alt to your batt. to begin with if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
18 Posts
well i compleatly rewired the whole battery and alternator to no avail so i said il get a amp that does not give me those problems. I havent had those problems with my ma audio 1800wat synergy amp

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can actually modify your BP1200.1 to not go into protect when dropping below 12 volts...Im assuming that it cuts out when your burping it...right? Someone on Termpro has the instructions for modifying. MA Audio suprisingly makes alright amps for street pounding...reliability and sound quality are not their strong points. In regards to the Sub Popping when the deck is turned on...Its probably the Sub RCA outputs on the deck...I have a new alpine CDA-7873 that was doing the same thing, a lottle while later...my Subwoofer out blew on the deck. I believe my RCA's grounded out somewhere. Try another deck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts