TCCoA Forums banner

Who's good at projects?

838 views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Porkchop 
#1 ·
Found this video and was wondering if someone is good enough to create a way to use this for our taillight panels. In thinking, it seems like you'd just be able to drill a hole in the side of our taillights and just run one of these tubes into them.

I'd try it myself but I don't know the first thing about LED's - unless someone wants to give me a quick tutorial of what this guy did with these LED's.

#2 ·
i hate how those things look, but i understand that your after. the trick is with ours is to remove the 2 halfs of the light and just repair whats wrong

#3 ·
I would just hate to go through all the labor involved in doing it that way and have the LED strips just go out again - I've read about that happening. Besides, I'd think it'd really be neat to have two of those wands in each taillight panel. One for normal lighting and one to light for the brakes. Sort of like what the '97 and '98 Mark VIII's do. Who knows... I may just be dreaming and wishing.

#5 ·
I have heard of people making them that way but have always wondered just how it is done. It should be pretty cheap. I might try to make a circle just to see if I can.
If you wanted it done as a straight strip on your reflectors you could try to put a 90° bend in it so that the actual LED sticks out into the trunk. Then when it goes out you just pop out the LED and put in a new one.

#6 ·
I got bored last night and did that guys trick...lol.....it looks ok...

<a href="http://www.vidilife.com/photo_944283_1_1_Headlamp1.htm">Lit!</a>
<a href="http://www.vidilife.com/photo_944281_1_1_Headlamp.htm">Unlit!</a>

#8 ·
thewishkah said:
...The only thing I wouldnt be able to figure out is how to drop the light output so that its the same brightness as the the park lamps not the brake lights.
I think the key to that is fewer grooves cut into the rod. The grooves are what make it brighter.

#10 ·
Unherd said:
I would just hate to go through all the labor involved in doing it that way and have the LED strips just go out again - I've read about that happening. Besides, I'd think it'd really be neat to have two of those wands in each taillight panel. One for normal lighting and one to light for the brakes. Sort of like what the '97 and '98 Mark VIII's do. Who knows... I may just be dreaming and wishing.

the Mks use a neon tube, which aint cheap.

BTW, that angle eye vid is pretty cool.

#11 ·
Essex8800 said:
I got bored last night and did that guys trick...lol.....it looks ok...

<a href="http://www.vidilife.com/photo_944283_1_1_Headlamp1.htm">Lit!</a>
<a href="http://www.vidilife.com/photo_944281_1_1_Headlamp.htm">Unlit!</a>
Wow, I can't believe you were gung ho enough to go ahead and attempt it! Try taking a picture with the flash on (with it lit) but cover the flash with your finger. This way the shutter won't stay open as long and the pic will be clearer.

Now try it on the taillight panels... I bet you can't do it! ;)

#14 ·
Okay...so i attempted to place a clear rod into a cougar tail and light it with an led....it does light up but not enough to be noticable.....I drilled a small hole on one side so i could insert the rod without messing up the apperance......(by the way tails dont seperate in the oven like headlamps...they melt) But to the nitty gritty....I dont think one led will ever put out enough light to light the tail......i went to advance earlier and found an interesting idea....the have mini led strips.....paper thin and could slide into a very small dremel cut......just an idea so far...if anything happens ill post pics...

#16 ·
i posted a thread about the cougar tail's before, got no real answer. I wanted to see if i could put in a paper thin led's i found for cheap ( 5 bucks for 2-3 4 ft strips) I didnt want to tear mine apart, then it not work, then be out of a tail reflector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.