TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
why are my headlights not coming on??????

Neither using the switch or the auto lamps turns on my headlights but the other lamps work. Also when I use the brights flasher the headlamps come on. Anyone have any ideas. I am going to try new lamps when the parts store opens.
thanks all that give help here it has really be a great reference area.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If your lights come on with the flasher, then I don't think your bulbs are burned out. Maybe the low beams, but definitely not the whole bulb.

It could be a few things, headlight fuse (if the highs and lows are fused separately), headlight relay (low beam), but probably is the headlight switch.

I had to replace the one on my car, it was a pretty easy job. If you can wait a day or two, call Dan N., he can get you the best price.

Autozone carries them too, I think.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Check Fuse #7 in the Power Distribution Box (located near the battery in the engine compartment). It's a 60-amp fuse (yellow), and may be blown.

Ford's Service Manual has you checking the entire circuit as well, but if both high and low beams are inoperative, I'd suspect that fuse, and then the headlamp switch.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I'm looking at a wiring diagram in my repair manual. It shows a 60 amp fuse in your main distribution box under the hood. It also mentions a circuit breaker that resets itself. That should be in the fuse block. When you pull back the switch handle to hit the " flash to pass ", that is on a seperate circuit, the same circuit as your cig. lighter. That's a 20 amp fuse in the fuse block under the dash. Since it's not likely that both headlight bulbs would go out at the same time, I tend to agree with checking the fuse first, then the switch. It's a remote possability that the circuit breaker would go bad, but I've not heard of it. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all I will check it as soon as I get home. stole the truck and let my wife drive my bird during the day

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same problem a few months back. I found out that it was my turn signal switch that was bad so i just bought one, replaced it and it fixed the problem.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I was going to suggest the multi-function switch. They are pricey though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well so far have checked the fuse(60 amp and other lights on that circuit work), bulbs and main light switch. Going to try the blinker/hi/low switch next. Any other suggestions would not hurt. thank you all.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
From the 1997 Service Manual:

VISUAL INSPECTION CHART - Electrical

-Circuitry open/shorted.
-Connectors damaged.
-Open bulb.
-Damaged headlamp switch.
-Fuse junction panel fuse: CIGAR LTR (20A).
-Power distribution box Fuse 7 (60A).

Time to check the 20a fuse?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Your multifunction switch on the steering column controls your headlights high-low beam and flash to pass function, turn signals, wipers and washers. After you've checked fuses, wiring and connections and your headlight/parking light turn on switch. it's possable it may of went. It's easy to get to and check. Once you've removed the plastic cover from around the column, there is only two screws and a plug to remove and it's off.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
If you don't have a wiring diagram, email me at my link and I'll reply back with the diagram in the email. I hope it helps!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the solution. turn signal switch which is quite the pain

thank you all for your input

·
Registered
395 Posts
yea i have the exact same problem going on. it is the multifunction switch but which is normally pretty pricey but i heard somewhere that you can get them fairly cheap if you look. or obviously you could go get one from the junk yard. cant remember where i heard you could get them for cheap but it was on here. anybody know pricing on them?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I'd add in some relays if you do that. It's cheaper than replacing it again later. All you need are some wires, female connectors, and a couple relays. Costs about $10 and well worth it.

FYI: If you have foglights connected to the same wires as the headlights, that would help cause it to burn out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts