TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear

Front (for comparison)

The above pictures are taken approximately two weeks after the last wash.

Could this be due to really bad quality brake pads in the rear? The rotors look and feel smooth, and there's no brake noise.

· SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,732 Posts
Does it wash off? If so it could be a lower grade pads that makes a lot of dust. But at a glance it looks like the coating of the wheel is worn from age. Do all the wheels look the same when it's nice and clean?

Reactions: XR7-4.6

· The Parts Guy
9,466 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@racecougar, but when I first bought the car, I had one situation that made me wonder if the rear brakes were too grabby:
Highway off ramp, wet surface, I was slowing down, and suddenly I felt the rear end sliding slightly. I released the brakes and countersteered; fortunately I had space ahead of me.

Back then, I ultimately attributed the situation to 12+ years old tires. Ironically, this happened on my way to buying new tires.

And no such thing occurred after I got the new tires.

· Registered
151 Posts

· Registered
96 | 4.6
163 Posts
Today my brake pads finally started whining. I will need new pads. Anyone have recommendations? I don't know what calipers I have, they don't look stock.

Will the brake pads vary in how much grab they have? I like the gradient braking I have currently. One thing I do not like about driving newer cars is how fast they catch, which yes I realize that's probably a good thing

· The Parts Guy
9,466 Posts
Today my brake pads finally started whining. I will need new pads. Anyone have recommendations? I don't know what calipers I have, they don't look stock.

Will the brake pads vary in how much grab they have? I like the gradient braking I have currently. One thing I do not like about driving newer cars is how fast they catch, which yes I realize that's probably a good thing
What doesn’t appear stock about the calipers? Why not post a photo so that we can identify them? Yes, different brake pad compounds make a world of difference in performance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts