TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a transgo kit and cooler installed last weekend, and i went with the spring that offers the firmest 1-2 shift, but i cant get the tires to bark, even with a manual shift out of first at 5k rpms. some things that i should mention about the install:

1. the TC wasnt drained of the 101k mile-old tranny fluid (fluid has never been changed before, yes i know, bad me)
2. we put in 10 quarts of new mercon v along with the old fluid in the TC (i plan to add more mercon)
3. the cooler is installed but hoses are not hooked up to it yet (rad. fitting is a pita to remove, ill work on it later)

any idea on why i cant chirp them (dont say its because i have a 3.8 :zbash: )? does my TV cable need adjusting?

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would say it shifts somewhat hard. josh keady can chirp his, i guess im jealous. can any of you 3.8 guys with modded trannies and lightly modded engines chirp them?

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think the reason that im not breaking the tires loose when i hit second has nothing to do with the car. i think it has to do with the elevation of the town im in now (3000+ feet). back home in houston (near sea level), my car pulls alot harder. does this sound legit?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Could be the altitude. I can chirp in second gear (though not consistently) and I have 3.8 with no mods, other than 235/60/15 tires (I know, not a mod, but in this case relavent) The elevation here is 700ft.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
big mike said:
i had a transgo kit and cooler installed last weekend, and i went with the spring that offers the firmest 1-2 shift, but i cant get the tires to bark, even with a manual shift out of first at 5k rpms. some things that i should mention about the install:

1. the TC wasnt drained of the 101k mile-old tranny fluid (fluid has never been changed before, yes i know, bad me)
2. we put in 10 quarts of new mercon v along with the old fluid in the TC (i plan to add more mercon)

if you didn't drain the old mercon III out, that could be bad for the tranny. i recently did just a filter change, and swapped over to mercon V, but i let the vb drip forever, and pulled the plug on the converter. i would recommend draining completely and refilling with just V...and maybe some friction modifier.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
93 lx said:

if you didn't drain the old mercon III out, that could be bad for the tranny. i recently did just a filter change, and swapped over to mercon V, but i let the vb drip forever, and pulled the plug on the converter. i would recommend draining completely and refilling with just V...and maybe some friction modifier.
we drained the tranny completely, but didnt touch the TC. does the fluid in the TC stay in the TC or does it flow throughout the tranny and back?

·
The Parts Guy
7,359 Posts
big mike said:
can any of you 3.8 guys with modded trannies and lightly modded engines chirp them?
My 94 LX with the 3.8L Splitport engine breaks the tires loose pretty well every time it shifts into second at WOT. That's with 255x60-15 rear tires (pretty darn wide and sticky), 3.73's, T-Loc, and no J-Mod yet.

-Rod

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
big mike said:

we drained the tranny completely, but didnt touch the TC. does the fluid in the TC stay in the TC or does it flow throughout the tranny and back?
it stays in the t.c.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rod - you have about 50 more ponies than me off of a SP along with gears and TL so you dont count :D

93 - you sure about that?

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
big mike said:
93 - you sure about that?

i am pretty sure. we let the vb drip for about ten minutes, unti lthere was almost nothing dripping from it. we then fount the t.c. drain plug and removed it, and the fluid came out pretty quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts