TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've decided to acutally do some research before jumping blindly into anything on my Bird. With that being said I was looking at the tech articles and was reading about adding the lighting maf and getting a tune.

I can understand the reason for the tune but I'm not really sure what the maf change would do.. so any help you guys could give would be great.

Also on a side note I tend to remeber reading somewhere that I shouldn't mod my 95 tranny as it isn't very strong. would the mild setting be ok to run on the tranny with a Big cooler and the later model deep tranny pan?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
lmaf is waste of money on a stock car. if you wanted to upgrade your maf, most efficient/best maf to get would be the 02+ mustang GT maf and air tube. this would require a tune

a mild Jmod w/ a properly sized cooler and deep well trans pan may get a few more miles out of the trans depending on its current condition. being in GA, you guys get warm, but not as warm as say SouthFL or TX, or AZ, so not recommended to go too big, or bypass the heat exchanger in the rad to save your butt in the winter

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I get what your saying about the heat exchanger and I wouldn't bypass the rad because it seems like all the cooling you can get would help.

But what is the advantage to the Maf swap.... what is different about the 02+ GT maf that makes it better than stock..

My exp as far as modding is more carb related than efi so not really sure what the swap would be good for

·
6,253 Posts
the heat exchanger is not so much for extra cooling, but rather to keep fluid from getting too cool during the winter. if the oil gets too cold, it gets really thick...and thats bad

i can't remember specifics about the maf, they are floating somewhere on the board, but basically the range the sensor uses is more accurate for our vehicles over the stock one and better suited than the LMAF discussed above unless you need it for a blower...then go LMAF or sct big maf depending on the app

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the heat exchanger is not so much for extra cooling, but rather to keep fluid from getting too cool during the winter. if the oil gets too cold, it gets really thick...and thats bad

i can't remember specifics about the maf, they are floating somewhere on the board, but basically the range the sensor uses is more accurate for our vehicles over the stock one and better suited than the LMAF discussed above unless you need it for a blower...then go LMAF or sct big maf depending on the app

Thanks James, I fell into the trap of horsepower and what do I need to get it.

Now I think that maxamizing the driving exp with what i have would be better to do but I want to do Mods that can also support some future mods. Eventually i may do the PI swap but I think right now I'm goingwork with what I got.

Wish some of the tech articles could be updated cause some of the links and info seems out of date.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i was planning to go with a maf but i was looking between pro-m and c&L maf im getting the pi swap done at this moment

·
6,253 Posts
:zwthstpd:

look for an 02-04 mustang GT maf if you have to ugprade. (i may have one available)

if you are planning a blower install then look into a 80mm or 90mm LMAF.. if you are going serious forced induction, consider the sct big maf

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
i have a lightning 90mm maf on my 351w/5spd reason being is because im going with a turbo and i can still be within range at the power levels i expect to be at

stock 90mm lightning/cobra maf is good for 450hp, with a maf expander your good to 1,000

im only shooting for 700

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Changing the MAF won't give you any more power unless you have maxed out the one on your car now. You haven't done that unless you have done quite a bit more with the car already.

What it will do, if you choose the right MAF, is give the person that tunes your car more control over a wider range. That can help with drivability as well as making sure you have enough range to work with for the air your engine can move.

But, regardless of the reason for switching the MAF, you need to have the tune adjusted to account for it.

So money spent on a MAF on a car that hasn't maxed out the MAF it already has is a waste. And, getting a MAF without getting the right tune to go with it is a waste and can actually cause damage.

Darrin

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've never noticed a real performance increase of having a different MAF sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts