TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have checked the axle codes and i'm almost sure i do not have a t-lok rear end.when i nail it off the line the back end goes out to the side,which is cool lol.when it's raining under light throttle it does this as well.i have done mini brake stands on pavement and both tires are spinning as well.why would this be???it's not a problem at all,i've just always wondered why this is.thx for the info in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Maybe someone swapped a TL rear in.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's possible, but i bought it from an old guy who didn't know crap about the car...this has always kinda baffled me???

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Just because you don't have a t-loc doesn't mean your car CAN'T send power to both wheels. A T-Loc just kinda ensures it does. A differential is designed to allow one wheel to travel faster than the other while cornering. It IS supposed to send power to both wheels when all else is equal.

Try putting one wheel on loose sand or gravel, and the other wheel on dry pavement, and see what happens when you hit it. (be sure you have lots of room and that flying sand won't hurt anyone first of course)

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
It is possible with an open rear that is IRS to smoke em both.

there is no twisting effect from the drive shaft applied to the axle like a solid axle has.

That's why on solid axle open rear car's the right wheel always spins. (it's kinda lifted from the torque of the drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Just because you don't have a t-loc doesn't mean your car CAN'T send power to both wheels. A T-Loc just kinda ensures it does. A differential is designed to allow one wheel to travel faster than the other while cornering. It IS supposed to send power to both wheels when all else is equal.

Try putting one wheel on loose sand or gravel, and the other wheel on dry pavement, and see what happens when you hit it. (be sure you have lots of room and that flying sand won't hurt anyone first of course)
Even if he has a Track-Loc, that extreme of a test might only spin one wheel. The spring that loads the clutches is kinda week.

The best way to check would be to jack both wheels off of the ground and try to turn one side while it's in park. If it spins fairly easy and the wheel on the other-side turns the opposite way. then you have an open rear. If you cant turn the wheel or it takes allot of effort to turn the wheel, then you have a Track-Loc.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Even if he has a Track-Loc, that extreme of a test might only spin one wheel. The spring that loads the clutches is kinda week.

The best way to check would be to jack both wheels off of the ground and try to turn one side while it's in park. If it spins fairly easy and the wheel on the other-side turns the opposite way. then you have an open rear. If you cant turn the wheel or it takes allot of effort to turn the wheel, then you have a Track-Loc.
well, I don't think sand like on a beach would be a good idea, but some sand on the road would be a better choice. Or even better: a small patch of ice.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
well, I don't think sand like on a beach would be a good idea, but some sand on the road would be a better choice. Or even better: a small patch of ice.
LOL Well, I was assuming he wouldn't try to park on a beach and spin his tires... Ice would work as well. ClintD is also right, just jack the car up and try turning the wheels.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, thx guys i'll try it tomorrow... the jacking it up part.a beach might be stretchin it in the winter lol:)

·
Registered
619 Posts
i can get both wheels to spin......for about 100 feet :)

then the driver's side tire spins and the car gets sideways..wich again is cool but it would be nice to have both wheels spinning

·
Registered
367 Posts
i hear u there 351cat, i have wheel hop too. i think that means its time for me to make some subframe connectors and suspension. work with some bracing too since it'll be in the shop all winter. suppose could do that when i'm not working on the body

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I put t-lok in my car yesterday, i spin both tires now :D only problem is now i get wheelhop :(

I would try a new set of shocks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have a trakloc but my left rear is bald, rest have 50%. in rain ill either hop or spinout. on dirty/sandy roads it will spin left right left right for 100ft or so. when i bought it i could breaktorque and get both to spin. never could do donuts, one wheel spins and i hop in a circle.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
i have a trakloc but my left rear is bald, rest have 50%. in rain ill either hop or spinout. on dirty/sandy roads it will spin left right left right for 100ft or so. when i bought it i could breaktorque and get both to spin. never could do donuts, one wheel spins and i hop in a circle.
sounds like its time for some new clutches in the rear.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
For wheel hop the bags do a great job and so does a larger rear bar. I do not have a wheel hop problem and mine is a stick.
I've never had whell hop in my car either.....even though its an auto.
I run a 4.10 gear out back with a track lock and slicks....no wheel hop!

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
I don't have wheel hop. NEVER experienced it. But I'm backed and have a 1 3/8's sway bar. Plus koni's. as for donuts I've noticed the trick is to mash the gas while straight. The stock TL can't handle going into a corner and punching it. Well in mine anyway. PI and 3.73's and big tires. But if you punch it and then spin it around it will spin around all day long. I plan on reclutching and putting an F150 S Spring in it. Should fix all my problems.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts