TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I have a 97 Kenny Brown w/ an s-trim blower and 60,000 miles. I've been smelling oil when the heater/ A/C is on. I don't have any leaks and it's not burning any oil. She still runs like a beast!! Is this something I should be concerned w/ or should I not worry about it. Thanx, in advance, for any help.

Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, she's not running hotter than normal. The only thing I've noticed is a little jerking when I let off the throttle getting off of the highway, but I think that's a different problem all together.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Are you sure you aren't smelling antifreeze like from a leaky heatercore?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I smell coolant every now and then, but this is an oil odor. At first I thought I just spilt some on the headers when I last changed the oil, but that was 1500 miles ago. I've been all around then engine looking for leaks, but never found any, and the oil level is right where it should be everytime I check.

Dan

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Only thing I can think of is to check your cowl for debris.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check your hood to cowl weatherstrip seal. If it lets any thing past you smell it in the car. The smell may have been their all along and it just started leaking past the seal.
Put a sheet of paper over the seal and shut the hood if you can pull it through with little resistance it may be leaking.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Oil from the supercharger slowly making it's way into the combustion chamber (or is KB self contained?)

I know mine smelled like it in the car on my RX7 (roots blower, fed and return oil).

·
Registered
9 Posts
The problem could also be you have damaged rings. The blow buy may be greater than the PCV system can handle. If so it will start leaking out other places like past the PCV and Vent gromets. Do you smell it more after WOT opperation?
Keith

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I smell it during normal operation. The blower is not self contained. It's Vortech S-trim, so it has an oil line from the oil pan. The car only has 60000 miles on it. I guess it could be the rings, but I know myself and the previous owner are crazy about doing maintenance done. I not very hard on the car. I've done 2 WOT runs in the past 6 months. I guess the smell could be coming from under the hood as I have a Cobra R hood on it right now. It just worries the hell out of me since this is my daily driver and I have another kid on the way in a couple months and can't really afford to do a bunch of work to her.

Thanx for the help guys!!

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.