TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I opened up the hood to wash out some cat pee that had been thoughtfully deposited down my vent and I noticed my coolant overflow tank looked red.
I opened the top and orange-red foam poured out. Taking a sample from the transmission yields the same fluid mixture. I know that the only place these two could mix would be in the radiator, correct? I'm assuming that the radiator cracked and allowed these two to mix?
I have the j-mod along with external filter and cooler. The coolant is flushed every year and was most recently done late this spring. The car is still driving ok, but I've been feeling something's been not quite right for a few days driveablity-wise. No kidding, eh? Oil is ok, engine temp is ok, oil pressure is a touch high. The car was used to tow a U-Haul trailer up from Houston 2 months ago, but everything went fine.
Needless to say, the car will be garaged until I can figure out what's wrong. Could someone let me know if they've had this experience or if you are technical enough, what I need to do to get it fixed? I'm hoping that if I replacethe radiator and tow the car down for a few successive fluid changes nothing will be hurt? I am an unemployed recent graduate, and I just can't afford much.

Michael

·
Registered
663 Posts
The only way I can think of that tranny fluid and coolant could mix would be a leak in the radiator's tank in which case you would need a new radiator or maybe get that one fixed and a thorough flush of your cooling system and transmission including the torque converter. :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was pretty much my impression. I ran a case of new fluid and got it from orange to milky red, so that's an improvement. I hadn't thought of having the radiator repaired, but either way, tomorrow the radiator gets drained and yanked. Had to have been on a Saturday night, too. The guys at Autozone didn't know what to make of us grabbing 3 drain containers and their entire stock of Mercon V...

I've heard this has been a problem in some tbirds? Grr...I don't want to go through 4 transmissions in 82k, 3 has been far enough.

Michael

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the suggestion was put forth to simply cap off the transmission fluid part of the radiator. Being that there is already an external cooler and filter, would this be detrimental to the cooling or anything? Would the break in the radiator expand to eventually cause an external coolant leak, or can I get away with having a few professional flushes?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts