TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why Do The Doors Rust So Easily?

I had a 91 and 94 Tbird and no matter how much I tried to take care of them the doors rotted out starting on the inside bottom of the doors. Now I'm looking to buy a 96 or 97 and everyone I look at has some pretty bad rust in the same place.

I live in NY so salt is a problem but I've never seen a 89-91 Tbird that didn't have rust on the inside bottom of the door. Why do they rust so easily? Is there a drainage problem in the doors? Is there a way to stop the rust once it starts?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I'm going to try to put the rubber undercoating at the bottoms of mine and see what happens

·
Registered
825 Posts
I theink the window seal is junk and lets the water in and plus it's a seam and air can't dry it out

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a 94 LX (owned it for just over 4 yrs), from Michigan/Iowa, that's never been garaged (outside the past 6 mos) and the only rusting I have is about midway up the rockers on the weld line. The ones I've looked at that are rusted in the doors have shot seals. Armor-all up your seals regularly and you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Dust N Bones said:
Is it true that spraying WD40 along the bottom of the door can stop the rust from forming?
Not from my experience (not with the door, but other car/non-car stuff). I think it'll just delay the spread of surface rusting until the layer wipes off.

I used this stuff (the can was old as $(%^ so I didn't think it'd work), but it was supposed to stop rust and I sprayed it on a random assortment of undercarriage stuff and it worked amazingly. I'd give you name, but I'm 600 miles away from home for the summer.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've used Dinitrol on the whole undercarriage and inside ever little whole I can find... Inside the doors, removed the rear speakers and pour it down there...
Removed the front and rear bumper and spray iy all over there...
And on all the places I could reach with at brush I've "painted" on the
thicker Dinitrol... It doesn't stop the rust if it's already there but it stops it from
forming... Took me about two days to do it and two weeks to get clean again.. :D
But I do recommend using it...

http://www.dinitrol.com/

//Per

·
Registered
272 Posts
also you can take off your door panles once every few months and clean the bottom of the door and drip a little trans fluid that will help alot. but the thing is there is no one fix or one time fix you have to do stuff over and over.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
for the rust get some por 15 it's paint over rust. I used it on my pass door on the inside and it work's beautifully. expensive though like $35 for a quart or pint I forget. Check on ebay.

I thought that the rockers rusted cause the water get's in there and there's no way to get it out like the small drain holes get clogged or somethin like that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dust N Bones said:
Why do they rust so easily?
Because it's a Ford.

Same company that made the Aerostar.

I'm also from the snow belt but luckily my car is from Texas. As we know it's days are numbered.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
97qwikcat said:
for the rust get some por 15 it's paint over rust. I used it on my pass door on the inside and it work's beautifully. expensive though like $35 for a quart or pint I forget. Check on ebay.

I thought that the rockers rusted cause the water get's in there and there's no way to get it out like the small drain holes get clogged or somethin like that.
So that por15 is for when the car has already started to rust? Is it supposed to stop the rust from spreading or just slow it down?

·
Registered
583 Posts
por15, and what I use called Master Coat (we call it silver stuff), both seal rust.. so it doesn't rust anymore.. it's best to clean scale off so you have something solid to apply it to. I don't think it'll help on the bottom of the doors though. It'll help appearance for a while on the outside, but it'll probably pop back through or finish rusting to the outside of the door. The bottom is where the outer skin folds over to the other side.. which usually gets seam-sealed from the factory to prevent water from getting in it. I think what usually causes the rust to pop up is from water getting inside the door and setting in at the bottom where the outer skin and bottom outer shell for the inside of the door come together. That's why I don't think applying it over the rust on the outside will cure it. If you can pour some on the inside so it covers the joint where the metal comes together inside the bottom of the door, that may help. POR15 isn't supposed to be applied over bare metal and it doesn't thin out very well unless you use *their* thinner, the plain black rust sealer is also UV senstive. Last time I tried to thin it out and applied some over bare metal, it started flaking. I grabbed a chip and peeled it right off like onion skin. MasterCoat Silver is generally ok on most surfaces.

·
Registered
250 Posts
ok now hes gone and done it...."because its a ford" ......i work in a bodyshop, what kind of vehicles do we fix the most of with rust problems, uh how about gm products...hmm alero quarter panels, aurora quarter panels, silverado rockers and car corners (usually dont make it to 80k). cavaliers cavaliers cavaliers, oh and did i mention the door hinges fall off s-10's/blazers because the metal is weak and they corrode and rust off, its always nice when yur wife calls from the grocery store and says honey you need to come get me because my door fell off......cmon......wake up and smell the coffee....if you are going to bash fords go somewhere else and do it!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes Gary, I know some GM's are prone to rust too. Cavalier doors, rear frames on rwd Monte Carlos, Cutlasses.

I've smelled the coffee and love my Ford. You guys need to wake up and smell it too. These cars are far from perfect and they ALL have their faults.
Lots of Fords rust prematurely and lots of Fords have the pluses too and if it were not for the pluses I wouldn't be driving one.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
well i agree with gary i just finished autobody school last october and guys these car's are nothing .I has to work on a 82 elcamino with another kid for one of our class project's.I have never seen a car so bad with rust.I took us forever just to get the roll pan molded in for the guy because we had to make so many damn patch panels. the lower quater panels where horrible.If you just keep the drainage holes clean in the doors so the water can drain they won't rust.I clean my door jambs everytime i was my car.I wash mine sometimes twice a week full detail at 3 hours eachtime inside and out.I just takes weekly maintance. duh!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Rust

Poor drainage and small areas for water to collect area perfect place for rust to start. Be sure the drain holes are clear and open first. Undercoating or a good metal primer should slow or stop rust from forming.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts