TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well its probably because my coil pack -> COP conversion was successful :)

ok, 87.5% successful, because i think one of the COPs isn't working properly because i can detect a very marginal miss, although its not a constant miss.....so i'm gonna look into it......might just be a loose contact or something

will post pics within the next day or two

EDIT: refer to THIS POST to see my final write-up

·
Registered
50 Posts
guitar maestro said:
well its probably because my coil pack -> COP conversion was successful :)

ok, 87.5% successful, because i think one of the COPs isn't working properly because i can detect a very marginal miss, although its not a constant miss.....so i'm gonna look into it......might just be a loose contact or something

will post pics within the next day or two
:D
I read the title and i was like WTF? thats tight though... what are the benifits of running COP? where you get it?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bah....looks like there's a bad COP somewhere......that miss won't go away....oh well...time to look for some new ones

the ones i have my dad got them from a junked 98ish Police Interceptor Crown Vic, when he snatched the updated NPI intake manifold, he got everything on it (rails, injectors, COPs)

no real benefit since it still uses the stock EDIS, but the engine bay looks way cleaner with no Coil Packs near the front of the engine, and of course no spark plug wires

·
Registered
46 Posts
very nice
did you have to swap the ecm harness?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Yeah, any info would be nice... I'm interested in the idea when I have the time... Already have 8 couls from off my exploder engine with less than 1000 miles on them...

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cougar281 said:
Yeah, any info would be nice... I'm interested in the idea when I have the time... Already have 8 couls from off my exploder engine with less than 1000 miles on them...
i'll trade you info if you sell me those 8 COPs from your exploder :D

nah, just kiddin

SloRide said:
very nice
did you have to swap the ecm harness?
all you do is wire them from your stock coil pack connectors.....takes at most 1.5 hrs if you have to ghetto rig it like me with crimp-on female quick-slide connectors since i don't have the harnesses that plug into them......if you have the harnesses, then its at most a 45min-1hr task

you actually can't swap the ecm harness because the COP equipped vehicles drive the coils from the EEC itself from low powered transistorized circuits that are probably present, but not active on our EECs.....so you still use the EDIS module

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Wow! I might do this crap soon just for fun :) Losing the coil packs would be great.
-Rob

·
Registered
185 Posts
Does the COP also fire two at a time?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
funnyfingers said:
Does the COP also fire two at a time?
I would say it would have to since he's still using the original EEC and it doesn't have the individual coil triggers for the true COP.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you don’t have “true” Ford COP. But what you have done is split each “coil pack” out into 4 individual coils for each pack. You’re still firing a pair of coils with the one signal from the EEC.

The “true” COP from Ford fires each coil individually as needed. Correct?

I’ve been looking at this swap to go along with my DOHC swap. :D

The only concern I have is the current draw through the EDIS when it fires a pair of separate coils. Even though it's just providing a ground, there is still current flow. At high rpm, I'm just wondering about the load.

Is my description correct on how you have it working?

Drawings… photos…. Etc. etc…. :thumbsup:

(p.s. I had a blown 351C that would run fine if the coil wire was laying about an inch away from the distributor (and arching a good 1.5 inch), but if you plugged the coil wire into the distributor it wouldn’t fire any plug!!! Solution: replace the fouled plugs. :beeks: damnedest thing I’ve ever seen… and I have witnesses!!! :D )

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
That's pretty cool. Kinda pointless, but cool anyway! Maybe pointless isn't the word, Ford obviously switched to C.O.P. for a reason. You'll never need a set of plug wires again! If your FRPP wires are worth selling I'd consider taking them off your hands.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
A friend of mine did this on his old 95 4.6 right after we swapped my Exploder motor in my car. He wanted to try getting them to work in my car but I just wanted my car to run before trying anything fancy or cutting up my harness. I just gave the COPs and harnesses to him sine he helped so much with my swap.

The setup didnt last to long on his car. If I remember corrrectly, he had an issue with the idle too. The gauge wire that he used was to small and I believe was part of the cause of a small engine fire :eek: After that he couldnt get it running right again and began pulling the motor to swap in a 351. Havent talked to him in a while come to think of it.

Anyway, you may want to keep an eye on them if you had to ghetto rig it!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Pointless? People swap out the spark plug wires for lower resistance fatter ones. This would be as pointless as that, instead of having low resistance wires though there is no resistance from spark plug wires.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have 8 COP's from a 97 Mark VIII. boots are new, coils have 70k on them, and ran fine when removed.

I have MSD 8.5mm wires on my 94, and, of course, standard COP on my 97 LSC. I was always curious what I would have to do to get the current from the coil-packs, to each cylinder, if I did the COP swap on my 94.

I am not sure i follow you as far as wiring. I am familiar with the simple plug-in connector on the COP's, but how you get 8 wires from one coil-pack is still a mystery. Thanks.

Of course, if I do this swap, I'll have a brand new set of MSD wires for sale. I cannot sell you the COP set, since it is a spare for my 97 LSC. Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
the EEC wont have trouble running the COPs paired up because they are wired in series, not parallel, so the impedances add up for each pair, so it keeps the current demand in check.....kauffman motorsports has done many of these

1&6, 3&5, 7&4, 2&8 are paired up in series

the positive connector of coil 1 gets +12V. the negative of coil 1 goes to the positive of coil 6. the negative of coil 6 goes back to the negative trigger from the coil pack connector....and the same is done for the other 3 pairs

so yea, its not a true COP in the sense that it still uses the waste-spark system from the stock EDIS and fires two at once, and not individually like the factory-type COP

once i get a hold of some new (or at least like-new) COPs, im gonna put 'em on again....im also gonna check if the paired coils can be switched to make some wiring neater

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Also, keep in mind that the valve covers are different between the COP and non-COP DOHC's.

I don't think the COP's would seal properly onto a non-COP valve cover... but then a simple swap over to a Cobra valve cover or a Gen II valve cover would solve that problem.... but then again... $$$$ :beek:

If you look at the schematic of the coil pack it's pretty straightforward. If I remember correctly, one coil pack is actually only two separate coils with two outputs (towers) each for two seperate plugs. The EDIS grounds the back side of one of the halves of the coil pack which in turn fires two plugs (one on the power stroke, and the other one on the exhaust stroke). I’m pulling this from memory, so if I’m way off base, let me know… :leftright

So "technically" all you have to do is instead of the coil pack "splitting" the signal from the EDIS, split the trigger signal on the wires going into the coil pack and wire them to individual COP's on the appropriate plugs.

You would still be firing two plugs at the same time like the OEM (coil pack) setup.

I'm hoping guitar maestro will chime in and tell me if this is correct. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"So "technically" all you have to do is instead of the coil pack "splitting" the signal from the EDIS, split the trigger signal on the wires going into the coil pack and wire them to individual COP's on the appropriate plugs.
"

well that would work, in theory, but the issue is current limitation....the way i fould out was using series wiring.....because a pair of COPs in parallel (splitting the ground trigger signal) would cut the combined primary coil impedance in half, thus utilizing too much current flow, i believe....and i didnt wanna risk burning out my EDIS module :)......also the the ground trigger signal on the wires going into the stock coil pack IS the signal from the EDIS......the EDIS provides the 4 grounds to fire each pair....the middle heavy gauge wire simply provides +12V when the ignition is on

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
The only concern I have is the current draw through the EDIS when it fires a pair of separate coils. Even though it's just providing a ground, there is still current flow. At high rpm, I'm just wondering about the load.

That's what I figured.

So to reiterate... :D

Enquireing minds want to know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:

That's what I figured.

So to reiterate... :D

Enquireing minds want to know. :thumbsup:
:zwthstpd:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well the COPs are already off since it's my daily driver, so no pics available :)

but if i can learn to use MS Paint efficiently within the next few hours, i'll see what i can do to illustrate the series connections with the COPs from the stock coil pack connectors :D

1 - 20 of 196 Posts