TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone tell me to hook up the trans cooler after the radiator. My question, Why?

As i look at it, the hottest fluid would be in the good trans cooler and then it will enter the radiator to get cooled off a little more before returning. Seem it would cool it off better because it first enters the good cooler.

But i guess you can look at it that the radiator is hot be its self so you might cool off the fluid and then it will get hotter.

So I don't know what to do. Another reason I want to hook it up before, is because i have a trans temp guage on there so i have the bottom line cut up and dont want to have both trans line cut into.

Thanks
Jeremy

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Because the radiator also cools the engine coolant and might actually heat up the tranny fluid a bit if the auxilliary cooler does a super job.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats what i thought. Well i guess im cutting up 2 lines. Im gonna run hard lines to the trans cooler though, I dont want to run that ruber hose. Its gonna be sweet! Right after the Custom Shift kit goes in.

BTW do you need to get the chip reburned for the shift kit? Or would it be better to run no chip until i get the computer flashed with the heads?

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
BlackTbird96 said:
Well thats what i thought. Well i guess im cutting up 2 lines. Im gonna run hard lines to the trans cooler though, I dont want to run that ruber hose. Its gonna be sweet! Right after the Custom Shift kit goes in.

BTW do you need to get the chip reburned for the shift kit? Or would it be better to run no chip until i get the computer flashed with the heads?
I didn't have to reburn my chip after I put in my "custom shift kit". Not that my chip manufacturer would know what to do with the "custom shift kit" anyway. All that does is firm up the shifts, nothing that would require a re-burn.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have the famous shift kit on the stock chip, works just fine, go for it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have my cooler hooked up before the radiator. I messed up the day that I installed it. I have been running it that way for about 8 months now, and dont think that I am going to change it. You would not believe how much the water temp gauge went down after I installed the cooler.

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Blackkatt said:
You would not believe how much the water temp gauge went down after I installed the cooler.
Probably not since it's measuring something completely different than the transmission fluid. The only reason mine changed at all was I put in a 180 tstat while I was flushing and filling during that install.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes it is true that it is measuring something different, but the transmission fluid will put heat into the water. So if you cool the transmission fluid before it goes into the radiator it will cause the water temp to be not as high.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, I can kinda see why it would make the water temp go down, because you don't have hot trany fluid keeping the water in the radiator hot before it hits the block again. But if you hook the tranny cooler up AFTER the stock cooler, it'll get cooled as well as stock before it even hits the new cooler. So that'll cool it even more and bingo, nice cool tranny.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am not saying that the way that I hooked my cooler up was correct. I really meant to hook it up the other way. I was just suprised by how much the water temp went down.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Way I see it, the colder the ATF, the longer the tranny will last (abuse excepted). With the cooler following the radiator, you will be cooler. In extreme cold, the ATF gets some heat from the radiator, and the cooler plumbing should bypass the cooler until the fluid warms up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts