TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of Curiosity, and without offending anyone, I'd like to know what the appeal is of a car that can bounce, or drop in the back while making the nose sky high, or vice versa? I will defend everyones right to make a car that can do so, I am just curious to know why.

In advance of the "flame" job I am likely to get I will state that mods that improve performance, comfort, economy, or reliability make sense to me. I just can't fit bouncing into any of those catagories.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I agree.

Thomas

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
well, its not really like it use to be with hydraulics, People are using accumulators (air charged canisters with a diaphram inside) which gives the fluid a place to go when you hit a bump. Then the air bags, I don't know, they are popular. I know as low as I wanted t to be it needed to be adjuatable to be able to drive it around. Why I like it that low, I have no idea. I am scared of heights. I just like it. There use be only a hand full of baggedbirds when I did mine about 5 years ago, there are lots more now. I call it progress, there are almost readily available adjustable suspension parts for the birds as bolt on's now. Its not for everybody though. Its an aquired taste.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you keep it at a slightly less than factory ride height while driving, and park it on the pavement while at rest? I guess the difference is while my car is, at rest, just a car waiting to be driven; while your car, at rest, is "artwork" (poor choice of words?)

Ok, I can see that. Now can anyone explain the bouncing part? Or the tiny diameter wheels that stick 5 inches out of the wheel wells? There is a MN12 in town like that. I cry when I see it.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
can't help you with the wheel thing.

although I like your "artwork" thought. But you have the right idea. I use it mostly to let down at a show. My licence plate reads "1LOW 89" so I better be with that plate. I really do think its a sickness. don't know where i got from, but I think it contagious :cough: :cough:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't worry, I am pretty sure I am immune!! LOL I already have a bad case of "Make it go around corners faster", compounded by "I need big a** brakes"!

By the way, it is cool to talk to someone who has a different opinion, and not flame or be flamed!:cool:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
dang right it's contagious, you gave it to me, J.J. Contracted it somewhere, Juicedbird got it, bagged90sc, nick out here in NC has it, jeez.............all these adjustable birds.........

·
Don't call me a Newbie
397 Posts
BAGGED89 said:
I really do think its a sickness. don't know where i got from, but I think it contagious :cough: :cough:
:eek: Help! Gimme the Atropine, Penicillin, Napalm...aaaaaaaaargh! Medic!! (Frantically sprays Lysol on computer screen).

That's a JOKE, son! Lighten up! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the small wheels are simply a response to the incredibly large wheels which have appeared in recent times. They probably think; if you can put a 24 inch rim on a car, why not put an 11 inch rim on?

I think anything that stands out from ordinary cars on the road is neat to see. No doubt owners of those cars do too!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I live about 25 mins from East LA where it has been said it all started. Like you mentioned before to these people this was an art form. There used to be a large amount of hydraulic equipment factories in that part of the city. The population there seems to be of a somewhat lower class. So the only thing they had to make their cars look good was the parts they had free access too. So hydraulics is an art form with a sense of history to it. Not only stylish, but also historic.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
digitalchaos said:
I think the small wheels are simply a response to the incredibly large wheels which have appeared in recent times. They probably think; if you can put a 24 inch rim on a car, why not put an 11 inch rim on?
I don't buy that one, I was seeing a lot of the tiny (usually gold spoked) rims long before I was seeing the huge 20"+ wheels. Its a thought though. What about the wild offset that makes them stick out so much?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Ever noticed that when it comes to ricers and low riders... the size of the wheels is inversely proportional to the size of the car? The smaller the car, the bigger the wheel, and the bigger the car, the smaller the wheel?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never really thought about it, but you are right! I've seen Cadillacs with 10 inch wheels and Hondas with 22 inch wheels!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I've seen a CRX with either 18s or 20s at a car show, and right next to it was a 1973 Caddy with the 10s. So yeah, I laughed...:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I guess you all knew sooner or later I would post on this subject LOL. As far as the little wheels the only thing they look good on is old impalas. As far as adjustable suspensions go I dont think any of have a setup that hops off the ground. we use it mainly to roll at a normal ride height with some normal camber without wearing tires.Then when we get to a show we can feel free to lay it down or drag on some ricer who revs on us. I have hydros,but scott(bagged 89) will always be my hero he has built a website just to help people who want to show the baddest bodystyled car on the planet keep up with all the ricers and minitrucks by installing air bag suspensions. Let me see if I can make a comparison for you ........................ having adjustable suspensions on a show bird is like getting a supercharger for all you guys who like to race its our big thing. as far as the little wheels I dont know of any bagged or juiced bird that has smaller than a 17"wheel that is not totally crazy LOL. Just remember before you make judgments on the show birds we are all builing the phattest bodystyled vehicle on the planet. lets save all our smack talk for the ricers

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Traveler said:
What about the wild offset that makes them stick out so much?
They want "deep dish" wheels, but the cars have positve offset.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not trying to put anybody down, just want to know why it appeals to so many. Everybody has the right to do whatever they want to do, to whatever car they want to do it to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry if if it came across that i thought you where putting us down I know you are not. You asked good questions and I was trying to make it understandable about why we do it. Just for us layin out a phat thunderbird is like you guys who like to race turning a perfect light and smoking the competition in something that aint the norm. We are the same way with our show cars just want people to recognize how bad a t-bird can be. It takes all kinds

1 - 20 of 22 Posts