TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**** like this happens :mad: that glue is some stubborn crap! not to mention the plastic housing is brittle.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I dont know if that is the same glue used on the ones in 89, but I just sat my headlights above the fireplace for awhile. The glue melted and it was easy to pull them apart.

On another note. Do you know where I could get those white clips for my 89 headlights Mike? Most of mine are broke since the accident. Thanks alot.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
yup, can't wait till i get around to doing the later model headlight swap. those will be on the list.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Ouch mike, that sucks, I know how much of a pain the 96-7 lights can be to take apart. Sorry bro

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
a new set is 140$ on ebay.
Expensive $70 if you crack one. :(

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Mine didn't have any glue holding them together, but those look to be aftermarket.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brian, it may be, but these are sealed much better than yours. i have taken apart a set of 89-90 coug lights before and i struggled a bit with them. i do know that the coug housings have a much stronger housing than the 96+ lights. i think that the 96+ ones use some type of rubber glue, as opposed to the other years that use something completely different. as for the white clips, im guessing the boneyard.

as for warming lights up in an oven, i have never tried that before and i dont see the need to. i have successfully gotten many other lights apart (including 96+) sitting at room temperature.

matt, that's a factory unit. aftermarket units use wider metal clips, and the factory ones have the narrower ones. notice the notches one the lens, they accommodate the narrow clips.

·
Registered
890 Posts
big mike said:
as for warming lights up in an oven, i have never tried that before and i dont see the need to

look at the pic in your original post to "see the need to" - why not if it makes it easier?

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was trying to swap a clearer lens onto that housing for a customer. the one you see is hazy from scratches. the housing with the clearer lens was cracked where the bulbs go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts