TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I always thought my car was a dog but at 7,300 feet up, everybody's is. So, I finally came back to sea level with the car and the improvement was huge. But, I squared off against my brother's Cougar last night and I got destroyed...

His car is a pretty stock 95 with the 4.6, and all he's done to it is a Fordchip, 3.55 gears, and power pullies.

My car has all the mods listed below in my signature. He pulled on me from the get go and I could not catch him at any speed.

I don't think my car's running like it should but I can't figure out why. Are his 3.55's really that potent and my 3.27's suck? Anybody think that my chip was burned with the wrong info on it maybe? Any input would be appreciated because I feel like I'm overlooking something that's causing me to run poorly.

Pete

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You should have kicked his butt. I'd check your fuel pressure, do a compression check, and make sure all your basic maintenance is up, and go from there. After that, I'd take it to the dyno and check AF ratio with the chip.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You should fly past a '95, like it was setting still..... I would get rid of the Reinhardt chip and get a real dyno tune with someone who is willing to spend some time on it and actually knows what he is doing.other possibility is the MAF is going south, but you arent getting the piower you should with those mods.... good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We went from a 20 mph roll (couldn't find a red light) and we let off at 70, so we went through first and second...everytime we went, the results were the same.

Leeland, I think you are right with the chip, since all my basic maintanance is good and the engine only has 44000 miles (just cleaned UPR filter, new plugs and tranny fluid with the 03 MAF all went in 10,000 miles ago, 255 lph fuel pump just went in 5 days ago).

I always thought that maybe something was screwed up with the chip since it always shifted at 4900 RPM instead of 6200-6500 like I expected it to. But, I just thought maybe altitude was causing that...maybe it was just the tune :rolleyes:

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention...the rutine maintanance is good because I just fixed it all up and did a bunch of checks since the car just made a road trip home to Louisiana from Colorado yesterday.

Pete

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, I tossed out that 80mm "so called L-maf", and chip from the "Legend in his own mind"... this after Iwent through a 5 week long 'dyno tune ' to boot, and picked up 40 HP , or 60 hp if you dont want to count correcting A/F ratio with my air adjuster; by starting out from scratch with a Diablo Chip, and someone who wanted to get it right..... point is there are a lotta good tuners, software, and attitudes out there and sometimes you just have to write off a defective system, and start all over... Its a bitter pill, but I am happy with my car again, and putting all the bad things behind me....now to dig out another 60 hp, then my work is done... LOL

·
Registered
175 Posts
How heavy is all of that stereo equipment? Your stereo mods in your signature are almost as large as the engine mods. I have considered removing my one 12" sub for the cause of weight reduction. It's all about priorities.

·
Registered
242 Posts
no expert here...but try yanking the chip and resetting the computer. While the computer is resetting, clean the MAF and run it for a few minutes.
(side note- Louisiana/Georgia air in June isn't good for power);) ;) ;)

·
Registered
803 Posts
First, you are not using the power you have at your foot if shifts kick in at 4900.
Try holding manual gears to 5700 rpm.

I agree your tune is off. Even with the same spark/fuel setup as stock, that motor should be superior to any '95.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried doing some 0-60 runs tonight...the best I could muster was an 7.8....a stock 97 should do that, and my brother turned a 6.9.

Also, the stereo equipment is not that bad. The box and all the amps weighs about 100 pounds, so I am loosing power, but only like 1/10 of a second in the 1/4.

Even when I manually shifted out of 1st and 2nd at 6000 RPM, he still got me, so I don't think that helped either.

Leeland and Richard, I think y'all are right and so does everybody I've talked to (JL and Jurgen)...I'm definately going to call Superchips Custom and get a new chip done right, straight from the source, and cut out "The Legend."

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I put the 19 lb/hr injectors back in and reset the EEC. The car was definately not happy, it started and idled well for 10 minutes but would bog and sputter when I would hit the gas. So, I killed it, reset the EEC and put the 24's back in.

It's drivable now, but still no improvement in power. But, it bogs around 1,100 RPM now, something it never did before. When it does stumble, there is a vacuum leak sorta sound coming from behind my plenum, but all my hoses seem to be fine. It only does this when the engine has warmed up and once it's past that engine speed, it seems fine. Any ideas on the stuble and hiss now???

I don't mind problems with the car as long as I know what's the matter, but I'm getting frustrated with this because I can't figure this one out and I still need to get that new tune, which is probably the cause of the anemic power. The hiss and slight stumble are annoying and the fact that I can't even beat a stock 97's times and the cause of the hiss are really bugging me.

Pete

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Uh, err. You need to reset your MAF barometric pressure reading:

BARO PID values in keep alive memory require updating at high throttle openings. If vehicle is driven down from higher altitudes for diagnosing, complete three or four heavy accelerations at greater than half throttle to allow the BARO PID to update.

Then your motor should feel much better. :cool:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Pete; there are two things happening here...

1st, the new hissing and running funny, sounds like a major vac leak... I'll take a stab at it blind, and say you have a plug/ screw in valve to regulate idle air bypass on your throttle body, and it came loose/fell out.... its just behihd , and under the TPS. A quick diagnostic test is to spray carb cleaner around the manifold/ throttle body. when you get a rpm change/ sputter you are in the vicinity of the leak.. look there... good luck
2nd... You cannot really determine why its not running up to snuff till you spend the money to get it on a dyno and find out what your A/F ratio and timing in open loop are, thats a start, and then you can determine how to correct it....may be as simple as failing electronics in the MAF.... or a failed tuner...., gotta get a couple meters on it on the dyno... the only way, and cheaper than having a dealer park it against a wall for 3 days at $200 a day then tell you "its running, so dont complain"
you will get it ,but it will take some doing... good Ruck!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I've got some good news now. The hiss wasn't a vacuum leak at all, but it's coming from the EGR. When I disconnect the green vacuum line to the top of the EGR by the plenum, the hissing and stumbling stops and the engine is happy. The hissing is coming from either the controller down by the coil pack or the EGR by the plenum. Either way, those fixes are quick to diagnose and should be much easier to fix than trying to figure out what was causing them.

I don't think the BARO PID is an issue since I've been romping on it for three days in New Orleans. Could the MAF already be fouled? I just bought it new in August.

But, I definately need to get to a shop to get some dyno pulls done. Anybody know a good dyno tuner in the Gulf South?

Pete

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
sounds to me like your maf, with it that slow, your maf has probably taking a crap on you, my car wasnt as quick as it seemed shifted at 4600rpms, and kept throwing lean codes, got a new maf in there, bam 5100 w/ a j-mod and my 0-60 went from 7.8 to 7.1, now its done to 6.9, im thinking its your maf, but im sure a crappy tune doesnt help, and how come lately everybody is very angery at "the legend", people use to recomend his work, now nobody wants his chip in our cars

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Joey, a lotta people were unhappy with attitude, service and quality issues... No flaming is supposed to occur on this site, but a few highly angry guys finally got their message accross and it sorta snowballed, as more angry people emerged and a lot of problems emerged... find another hero ;JL, and KD are good candidates, and dont blow their horn as much, and arent really trying to sell you a "load " someone who actually knows tuneing, well,will "try" to make you happy and is organized like Lonnie Doll is what you want to deal with... there are a wholew bucket full of great tuners out there who will appreciate your business, and treat you fairly... Dennis Ramsey in Tampa is my Choice right now and I am happy wiyh my car again.... good luck in picking out someone to do your chips...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
well i have a place near me called amazon, but they couldnt get an 80mm LMAF to function right on my buddies t-bird, and they broke his kick panel to boot, the guy claims to have SCT tuning capabilities, but he says only, half of them, b/c there are diffrent colors, so now a days im just gonna go with apten, gotta love brian

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hey! whattever works....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts