TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who saw my intake post... this is another problem that arose on the way to florida.

-Drivetrain makes loud howling noise at any speed.
-Not gear or RPM related... its pitch is speed related which makes me think its something in the rear end.
- U joints are on their way out alread and ive been tracking down some other wierd rear end noises that actually appear to be gone now(wierd popping on the first time its been driven for the day and some wierd grinding at low speed turning). Are they all related?

opinions?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
bearings or differential maybe?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
If you've got a trac-loc, I'll bet the popping/grinding was your clutches. If it went away, I'm sure the clutches did too.

As for the howling, hope its not the gears themselves, but if it is, time to rebuild the whole pumpkin and put some better gears in there... :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Howling

Yes I am sure that it is the rear end, speaking from experience. I have my car at the dealership right now and I am awaiting the numbers on the upgrade to the 3.73 gearing. I have a buddy that works there so I am getting a little bit of a deal.

Christopher

·
Registered
875 Posts
I agree with Joe that the popping and grinding are probably the clutches in the trac-loc differentiating. After they sit for a while, they sort of glue themselves together, so they'll pop when they break free for the first time after the cars been sitting. This is particularly common with new clutches after a fresh rebuild of the trac-loc. Once the clutches break in a little, the popping usually goes away.

As far as the other noise, what frequency is it? Gear whine is typically higher pitched, but also usually changes with load, i.e. coasting, cruising, or accelerating.

Mike

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It definatley changes pitch with load. Not really high pitched but i guess ive never had a howling before. What happens guys if i dont fix this? I dont have the money for this **** for a couple of weeks when i get my first paycheck from my new job. I also just learned that my heater core is leaking, my front end is creaking again, and i still need new u-joints.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
forgot to ask, is there anyway i can diagnose this for sure? Before the trip i took the plug out to look for shavings and to see how the fluid was doing. It started leaking out right away so i assume the level is fine. It was brand new looking fluid because i had it changed about 6 months ago. No shavings either

1 - 7 of 7 Posts