TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to switch out the panel k&n filter for a cone on my 5.0, when I notice engine oil slowly draining out of the air filter. what's going on?!:boom:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
There is a hose that connects the oil cap with the intake. You remember seeing Caravans with all that blue smoke? Well... they had the same thing.

You can pull that hose off and put a cap on top of the hole in your intake to reduce this.

Also is possible that your lower intake gaskets are blown.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Another cause of this is that the PCV filter is clogged...it's a wire-mesh "plug" located under the PCV valve in the lower intake manifold.

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Registered
126 Posts
The hose reads air in your intake and will make you run rich if you cap the intake AND put a breather on the oil cap. I wondered if it would help the problem if you moved the hose to the bottom of the intake duct. I've got a pvc intake so I try it for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went to switch out the panel k&n filter for a cone on my 5.0, when I notice engine oil slowly draining out of the air filter. what's going on?!💥
The pcv valve probably is touching the screen in the bottom of the grommet .pull the pcv valve up so it's not touching the bottom of the grommet

·
Super Moderator
12,764 Posts
WTF is this crap?! the oil running out the intake means the pcv system is clogged or leaking air.
Your car will run like a ragged out piece of **** if you don't fix this ****.
Ifyou drive the car hard at high rpms it will fill the passenger valvecover full of oil, which will get suched into the intake.
I run a separator .
You probably have crumbling vacuum lines everywhere, fix all of those too.
Do an oil change, fix the lines,reset the eec and do the drive test and see what codes come back.
Check all the sparkplug wells for coolant too.

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
WTF is this crap?! the oil running out the intake means the pcv system is clogged or leaking air.
Your car will run like a ragged out piece of ** if you don't fix this **.
Ifyou drive the car hard at high rpms it will fill the passenger valvecover full of oil, which will get suched into the intake.
I run a separator .
You probably have crumbling vacuum lines everywhere, fix all of those too.
Do an oil change, fix the lines,reset the eec and do the drive test and see what codes come back.
Check all the sparkplug wells for coolant too.
I'm really bored because I'm getting over COVID and isolation. However, this one caught my attention because you're responding to a post that was responding to a post that was almost 18 years old. I guess it's appropriate for a long gone member to point out a post from a long time ago. I'm not sure what Sjhart is going for here since he wasn't adding anything to this OLD, OLD thread.

·
Super Moderator
12,764 Posts
Randy, I'm sorry to hear you sold the car you built. Subaru's are fun; I loved the 76 and 81 GL's that I had 20 hears ago.
Sorry about the post; that was harsh, but that's how I got rod knock on Lazarus, draining all the oil out the pcv.

Thanks for the shock parts.

Reactions: MaddMartigan

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
Randy, I'm sorry to hear you sold the car you built. Subaru's are fun; I loved the 76 and 81 GL's that I had 20 hears ago.
Sorry about the post; that was harsh, but that's how I got rod knock on Lazarus, draining all the oil out the pcv.

Thanks for the shock parts.
All good man. Your advice was spot on. I just can't figure out why the other guy was replying to a post that old. There are some strange things floating around the net these days. For example, I responded to a post in a WRX tuning forum that was over 10 years old but it was because I was trying to pull the original poster back out to ask some questions. Unfortunately I'm sure they move on by far. However, in this case he's not asking any questions or adding advice (which even then may not be useful) but just adding a comment like he was keeping up with the thread. It's just weird.

Cars come and go. While I may not be an active participant on the platform I would still answer questions if asked and my account will stay alive as long as you guys keep it around.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,278 Posts
All good man. Your advice was spot on. I just can't figure out why the other guy was replying to a post that old. There are some strange things floating around the net these days. For example, I responded to a post in a WRX tuning forum that was over 10 years old but it was because I was trying to pull the original poster back out to ask some questions. Unfortunately I'm sure they move on by far. However, in this case he's not asking any questions or adding advice (which even then may not be useful) but just adding a comment like he was keeping up with the thread. It's just weird.

Cars come and go. While I may not be an active participant on the platform I would still answer questions if asked and my account will stay alive as long as you guys keep it around.
I think to some extent it’s the recommended reading threads, that and/or bots. A lot of times these users will join, necropost immediately and never be heard from again, very much in the pattern of typical spammers, but without nefarious links. Trollbots perhaps?

Good to see you pop in Randy, I miss chatting about your project in IRC but I get the desire to move on, I knew once you got the bug for something lighter/smaller to race my insisting on flinging around 2 tons of big coupe was cooler was futile lol. Btw did you hear about Ralph?

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
I think to some extent it’s the recommended reading threads, that and/or bots. A lot of times these users will join, necropost immediately and never be heard from again, very much in the pattern of typical spammers, but without nefarious links. Trollbots perhaps?

Good to see you pop in Randy, I miss chatting about your project in IRC but I get the desire to move on, I knew once you got the bug for something lighter/smaller to race my insisting on flinging around 2 tons of big coupe was cooler was futile lol. Btw did you hear about Ralph?
Yeah, the whole thing is pretty curious.

I think the the fact that I don't really have a love for any particular car gets in the way of my staying power with a platform. I think I enjoy the chase as much as the destination on this stuff. I really like the BRZ right now but we'll see what the future holds.

I just found the thread about Ralph. I'm very sorry to hear it. He will be missed.

·
Super Moderator
12,764 Posts
The guys that started the whole 'computer' thing during WWII discovered the "Computer disease", where the building/tweaking on it replaced the actually doing work on it.
Cars are similar, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts