TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. I doubt too many people care, but I recently had to send a reply in four different messages because of the 2500 character limit.

PJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
I must agree. I rarely say more than a few sentences, but the 2500 character limit hits pretty early. If you have more than a paragraph or two, or try quote someone, you will have to send more than one message.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's a setting in vB (stock) that we can set as needed, it's nothing we had done specifically. i will say i just visited a few other big vB car related sites, and a few of them had even lower character limits.

i just want to say that just about any time there is some type of limit, it's for performance reasons (not really so much the PM section as other things). It's better to cause a slight inconvenience to some people some of the time, rather than effect the entire board with performance issues. Hope that's understandable.

We have increased the limit (doubled).

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
In all honesty I'd sacrifice PM length for server performance. Haven't seen it as much lately but those server too busy messages are annoying. The server was doing even more weird things today, I was trying to respond to GB in the Political Forum and the board would not let me. It said I was trying to post less than 30 seconds since my last post, which was absolutely ridiculous. I'd been watching TV for half an hour. I even restarted my computer after logging out and completely clearing everything blah blah blah...weird stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
JT said:
i just want to say that just about any time there is some type of limit, it's for performance reasons (not really so much the PM section as other things). It's better to cause a slight inconvenience to some people some of the time, rather than effect the entire board with performance issues. Hope that's understandable.

We have increased the limit (doubled).
I figured it was performance related, but thought it probably had more to do with PM storage space. Oh well, a fast board overall is definitely worth an occasional inconvenience. Doubling the limit will probably eliminate the problem most of the time, but if it slows the board limit them to whatever is necessary. Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just to clarify, the PM character limit doesn't really so much have an impact on the server's performance as other things do, so this should be ok. Just explaining that most of the time such limits are there are to try and keep the server load within acceptable range, which means better performance on the forums. Not really anything specific just for TCCoA, but any other website running a large forum.

The server's performance has been getting better due to the work we've been doing. Bill also did some upgrades and there is still more work left that should further help things.

By the way, anytime there is such an issue as you stated, you might want to let us know so we can atleast look into it. We're usually doing some type of forum or server work often (for better performance or features), so some strange glitches will appear from time to time. But i'd still like to know of them and try to look into them, if they happen, as it may be unrelated.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, JT, thanks for boosting the PM limit. It gets stressful in a dial-up situation to have to cut and paste and click and reply a few times to get a complete thought across.

I also noticed you saw the time discrepancy in that other post I made today. Thanks for the prompt explanation.

Keep up the great work!

PJ

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, the server's time was about 1hr ahead after it was rebooted after some upgrades. When the time was reset back to the correct time, new reply posts made within that 1 hr roll back period would be out of order because the new replies would now be at the correct time, but some existing posts would be up to 1hr ahead due to the time difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts