TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little rant if you please............

I offer to change my Dads 96, 3.8 water pump for him. After looking it over i thought looks pretty easy.............except i will need the power steering pump pulley puller. Because Ford decided to put a bracket conected to the W/P and then bolt it behind the P/S pulley. So i figured i will pick that up from Auto Zone after i pick up the W/P at Advance. Well after talking to the guys at advance they assured me i will need the puller to change the water pump. {As did the Haynes Manual} so fine i rented it from the Zone. I start loosening all the bolts, and find out to my supprise, OHHHHH i need to remove the ignition coil, to remove the ignition coil bracket. nice Ford, thanks. So i get that all apart, then i go to the driver side and tackle the P/S pulley. Well much to my supprise the d*** tool isnt working for me. So i called for a second a opinon, and a third and a fourth. they all said i had it right, the tool must be messed up. So i called Advance and asked them, {mind you it is now 2nd shift, i consulted the 1 shift guys when i was in there} this tool job says" well i have been a mechanic for 25 years, and i have never had to remove the P/S pump, or pulley to change the water pump, you need to try from underneath the car to get those bolts off to get that bracket, i have never heard of such a thing" i am now more pissed than ever that this guy tells me im wrong. AHHHHHHH , so i said F it, i started looking and much to my supprise, i can unbolt the whole damn casting from the block and bypas taking the pulley off totally. So now i pull the alternator off to get the casting off. all in all everythign is back together and fine.

Why must Ford tease me with what I think will be an easy job???? i have to take 6 things off to get to one bolt. I guess if they build them in such a way only the dealer can work on them, then the can keep getting your money. Oh well. :zsoapbox:

I am done now thanks
Chris

·
Registered
259 Posts
My dad was changing the ps pump and spent like 3 hours doing it taking everything out to get to the pump. One man job on a 90 cougar 3.8 total time was about 6 hours.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
92five0bird said:
i started looking and much to my supprise, i can unbolt the whole damn casting from the block and bypas taking the pulley off totally.
same thing went for me when i had my WP changed. we didnt want to mess with pressing the PS pulley back on, so we did some looking around and took off the PS pump and alternator in one big piece.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
big mike said:

same thing went for me when i had my WP changed. we didnt want to mess with pressing the PS pulley back on, so we did some looking around and took off the PS pump and alternator in one big piece.
I can vouch for that situation even though I have a 4.6L. Twas on my birthday that I was changing Big Mike's WP.:tongue:

·
Registered
274 Posts
The only time I worked on a 3.8L I stripped the intake bolt doing a thermostat. That cost my friend an intake. Those were the days:leftright

Karl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts