TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was thinking about modifications in general on my car.. And I was wondering.. Why do we gun for Mustang stuff like the Camshaft and PI stuff? Is there nothing better out there? I mean Stang owners obviously modify their rides to get more HP and I bet they use something different than their '01 or '02 Camshaft or PI stuff.

Stang stuff I know TBird/Cougar owners here use:

02 GT MAF
GT cams
PI stuff (?)
Mustang Brakes

Why do we use GT stuff when the GT owners obviously get different stuff? Wouldn't it be better to get something aftermarket? Example:

A popular mod is the Marauder TC, but I know Precision Industries makes a TC that 5.0 Stangs and other Ford cars can use.. Wouldn't that yield better results?

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
Well, I was thinking about modifications in general on my car.. And I was wondering.. Why do we gun for Mustang stuff like the Camshaft and PI stuff? Is there nothing better out there? I mean Stang owners obviously modify their rides to get more HP and I bet they use something different than their '01 or '02 Camshaft or PI stuff.

02 GT MAF
GT cams
PI stuff (?)
Mustang Brakes

Why do we use GT stuff when the GT owners obviously get different stuff? Wouldn't it be better to get something aftermarket? Example:

A popular mod is the Marauder TC, but I know Precision Industries makes a TC that 5.0 Stangs and other Ford cars can use.. Wouldn't that yield better results?
This is nothing new. You do realise the aftermarket parts you speak of cost alot more money then the stock stuff people can get off other cars. You want a different intake other then the PI stuff? Then you better have a grand or more to pony up.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
that's true and i agree but most of us can't afford the expensive aftermarket parts.

for example: a set of aftermarket cams for a 4.6 can go as high as ~$850 where as the pi cams are ~$120 or less and provide a decent gain

The TCs from Maruaders and Mark VIII are cool and real cheap compares as to getting one from TCI or B&M cause their price for a tc that is just the same is about ~$330 or more when the price for the maruader tc are about $200 or less

another big issue is that mustang can go higher speeds without having to worry to much about their suspension or drivetrain, they come with factory 5-speed where as we (anyone with a SC that is not a 5-speed) is stuck with an automatic plus the suspension, the driveshaft and other things are not meant to be used at high speeds

then comes the exhaust, we're pretty much stuck with the factory shorties, the expensive shortie set from JBA, or the shorties from mac, where as mustangs have the option of longtubes...
I'll pretty much stop here, anyone else want to add?

·
Registered
439 Posts
We can get Kooks 3/4 length torque headers for $695. JBAs are bad point blank. Money is an issue with everything though. If you wanna have fun, you gotta dish out tha dough. I have no dough so Im not havin much fun. :mad:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the car can't handle high speeds why bother modifying it then? Isn't that the goal of mods? To reach higher speeds with more power?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
If the car can't handle high speeds why bother modifying it then? Isn't that the goal of mods? To reach higher speeds with more power?
The car cannot handle high speeds in its stock form. With a new driveshaft and chip a thunderbird can safely attain higher speeds. The more work you put in, the more you get.:)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will3799 said:

The car cannot handle high speeds in its stock form. With a new driveshaft and chip a thunderbird can safely attain higher speeds. The more work you put in, the more you get.:)
I dunno why, but I thought Chasis for some reason when I read his earlier comment. Silly me.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
weswing04 said:
my goal isnt to go faster...its to get to the top speed quicker. :)

Isn't it the same thing?? You need to go fast to achieve top speed quicker. Come on man, that's basics physics:tongue:

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:

02 GT MAF
GT cams
PI stuff (?)
Mustang Brakes

people upgrade to these parts because they are basically improved parts that ford uses ont he 4.6 now. if mn12's were still produced today they would also come with these parts stock but becuase they stopped making them in 97, the mn12's missed out on the pi stuff that came into production in 99. and like the others have said there's aftermarket stuff out there but its expensive. where you can swap in pi cams and a pi intake for less than $250. precision industries does make a tc for our cars, its around $700 though. the mark8/marauder tc is $150. if you got the money its not to difficult to make an mn12 fast.

Frank

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
you're right but what i think what he is trying to say is that he wants his t-bird to be able to handle the high speeds and is not looking for the power that gets you out of the line

you can have car that has great e/t's but once they hit the end of the 1/4 that its, most of cars on have gears to reach that 1/4, with the C4s or C5s(trannys) the engine will rev too high afterwards
whereas a car with a slightly modded engine and with a well balance suspension, brakes, and drivetrain can go over 200mph

just take it like this
take a pro-street car that runs...9s at about 165-170mph with about 700-800 rwhp
take a Porsche, a GT2 that has about 400-470 rwhp, and race both
the pro-street will win the 1/4 mile but probably top off at about 180-190 because of rev-limiters and other adjustments where as the GT2 will top of at 220mph

i don't know if i explained myself but hopefully i did

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
you're right but what i think what he is trying to say is that he wants his t-bird to be able to handle the high speeds and is not looking for the power that gets you out of the line

you can have car that has great e/t's but once they hit the end of the 1/4 that its, most of cars on have gears to reach that 1/4, with the C4s or C5s(trannys) the engine will rev too high afterwards
whereas a car with a slightly modded engine and with a well balance suspension, brakes, and drivetrain can go over 200mph

just take it like this
take a pro-street car that runs...9s at about 165-170mph with about 700-800 rwhp
take a Porsche, a GT2 that has about 400-470 rwhp, and race both
the pro-street will win the 1/4 mile but probably top off at about 180-190 because of rev-limiters and other adjustments where as the GT2 will top of at 220mph

i don't know if i explained myself but hopefully i did

:zwthstpd: bla bla what he said

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
And that is the difference between "speed" and "acceleration". :D

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Traveler said:
And that is the difference between "speed" and "acceleration". :D

you took the words right out of my mouth.

look at it this way, a stock honda accord will go 120+ mph and a stock thunderbird will only go 107. the thunderbird is obviously the faster car but if your going by top speed the accord will beat it everytime. the thunderbird will get to 107 much much faster than the accord but once the tbird tops out its only a matter of time before the accord will pass it.

i'd personally take acceleration over speed any day.

Frank

·
Registered
222 Posts
fdawg, nice avatar.

back on topic though:
mustangs have some parts, patriot heads, comp cams, renegade, etc. all those parts bolt to our engines. no aftermarket company makes performance heads so we are stuck with ford. no on makes an ( affordable ) intake manifold ( yet ) so we are stuck with fords. mustangs also have the benefit of being lighter and having f ive speeds and trak lok differentials already. we dont. so we swap to mustang components. mustangs with bolt ons can run 12's n/a. and really any mustang that is really fast, is supercharged. that is the biggest mod yo usee on mustangs. they( and we ) can buy a 6-8 psi kit from ATI or vortec for 3500$ roughly. nitrous also. personally i think my cougar is pretty darn stable at high speeds. on a couple rare occasions ( to interviews ) i have cruised just at the limit around 105 and the car felt great. it wasnt the brightest hting but it had to be done. i cant make my mind up where the heck to go with my car. i want to do junkyard/ebay twins turbos, but that will cost me 3500 or so. i have a line on a vortec kit from a friend for 1500$, but it isnt intercooled. nitrous is out. or just go n/a with PI heads, pumpkin, 4.10's, u/d's, accufab plenum/TB, CAI, j/mod. i cant make up my damn mind.

sorry, I rambled.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get the point being said... I was just curious that is all... Would aftermarket yeild better numbers if the extra $$ is spent???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts