TCCoA Forums banner

Why Shouldnt I sell my car?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  HanMan 
#1 ·
I bought my 96 Cougar with 98,000 on it in 2001. I now have 108,000 on it. The intake manifold has cracked, the front end is all screwed up...i.e. brake rotor warpage, groaning-grinding noise when i turn sometimes and a shaky steering wheel. Transmission problems blah blah blah....its the same ol story. But I really do enjoy the car...just not the price its gonna be just to keep it running somewhat like new. Should I sell it, or should I just deal with it and try to keep good thoughts about it.

#3 · (Edited)
CougarXR7Man said:
I bought my 96 Cougar with 98,000 on it in 2001. I now have 108,000 on it. The intake manifold has cracked, the front end is all screwed up...i.e. brake rotor warpage, groaning-grinding noise when i turn sometimes and a shaky steering wheel. Transmission problems blah blah blah....its the same ol story. But I really do enjoy the car...just not the price its gonna be just to keep it running somewhat like new. Should I sell it, or should I just deal with it and try to keep good thoughts about it.
I thought that I read somewhere in the threads that the 4.6 intake was covered by Ford under a recall or something. Edit: Check this thread..

Mine's a '92 and you can see all that I've done to it on my web space.

I've had it for three years and despite the investment, I love it. The ride, the appearance, the room, everything. The new cars in it's class on the market all look the same, but the MN12 was a beautiful design. The aerodynamics are hard to match.

Ya gotta love it.

#4 ·
I was asking myself the same question a month ago. My 94 Coug needs a fair amount of work to bring everything back to proper working order. Trans, front bushings, suspension, rotors... It had a rough life before I got it, and it only got worse then. :) Not to mention it's not paid off and it costs me a lot of money every month. But like soop said, the ride, the room, the look... The whole package -- you won't find that in many cars. Especially the XR7... :) (Sorry, I'm biased a tad). The only person I know with near the back seat leg room that I have is my buddy with a 96 Taurus wagon. Sure, we have our own set of problems, but every car has its quirks. And there's no guarantee that if you sell your car, the next one you buy won't be worse off than you are now. Unless you buy a new car under warranty, but it'd be much cheaper to fix up the coug than do that. See if you qualify for the intake recall... Get that fixed and slowly start updating everything. I've an absolutely huge list of things I have to do to the car, but just take it one fix/mod at a time and you'll be done soon enough. Anyway, enough of me. :)

HTH
-joe

My 94 XR7 SE, due to hit 125k any day now. (with fresh, new tires!) :)

#6 ·
Car = Bottomless money pit

No matter what car you have there is going to be expense and upkeep, your probs aren't that bad and like greenbird said won't cost much to fix. Keep the car for the same reasons you decided to buy it in the first place

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

#7 ·
The problems are not that bad.

The problems that you have are not that bad. Most of your problems can be fixed very easyly. They are all common. I would get the intake fixed under the recall. I would update the valvebody and the 1-2 2-3 and overdrive pistons Per the trans article. I would update the front brakes to the kvr 10.8 dual piston update.

#8 ·
CougarXR7Man said:
First off, 108,000 isn't jack as I have found out. Intake manifold should be covered. Brake rotors can be reground cheaply. Also, get new brake pads because what causes warpage is supposidley uneven brake dust deposits. Groaning and grinding noise is prob whell bearings. Thats prob your biggest problem. Shaky steering wheel is prob your rotors. Tran probs will be the most expensive if the tranny has gone. Either way like greenbird said, 1000 or lest. Id be willing to bet the cars worth more than 4000. And even so, How much is it really worth to you? Run it into the ground. Once you get the reoccuring problems fixed permanantly you will think there is no ground to run it into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.