TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so frustrated. The drivers door keeps closing on me all the time. Do I need to tilt the car forward or something? Are the hinge rollers worn out? How do you fix this?

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
Roller on the lower hinge.
Yup. That'd be my guess. It's either worn or broken. Mine got a nice flat spot in it after many years of use.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Did you use the rebuild kit or replace the hinge ?
You can re-pin easy enough, but that's not gonna help the spring problem controlling the door closing. If it were mean, I'd visit a boneyard, get one that works and install it with a new pin from Advanced (Dorman 38438):

Good luck with it!

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
Did you use the rebuild kit or replace the hinge ?
I used the rebuild kit. The bushings work great but the rollers that come with those kits are worthless. If you're gonna rebuild your door hinge don't use the kit roller. Just replace the bushings and leave the factory roller on the hinge.

It's probably just easier to get a new hinge from Ford and replace it. The only problem with that is the hinge needs to be painted.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I am thinking I will just get a whole new hinge....since half the problem is the flat-spotted roller.....can't cost too much to get just the hinge paitned to match the car....gonna need a new striker, too...those are toast as well.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The only problem with that is the hinge needs to be painted.
I didnt paint the new one I installed. They have a nice metal color and they tend to keep it for a long time :) They are right about those white rollers though...total junk. If you could find a nice factory roller on another hinge in the junkyard, you could knock out the pin and get the wheel (probably a passenger side one). Good luck

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the roller gets a flat spot, just rotate it.

In looking at mine, I think the inner diameter of the roller has worn.

I was thinking a quite fix would be to take a soda can and cut out a 1" x 1.5" piece of aluminum and epoxy it to the curved plate the wheel presses against. Might not work very well though.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That would probably just smash the aluminum flat. Your going to have to build it up. You will already have it apart, just do it right.

I seem to remember reading somewhere the mark hinges dont sag and are bolt replacements

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think the aluminum is that soft and you don't have to take it apart. That's why it's easy.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can re-pin easy enough, but that's not gonna help the spring problem controlling the door closing. If it were mean, I'd visit a boneyard, get one that works and install it with a new pin from Advanced (Dorman 38438):

Good luck with it!
How do you get the old pin out?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Drill out the top or grind it off. You just have to take off the mushroomed part thats pressed from the factory. And you can try the can idea, but I can almost guarantee it wont work. Worth a shot. Report back if it works

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A can might be too thin to notice a difference.

I'm betting that the squishy material the roller pushes gets soft over time and usage.

What if we moved that piece closer to the roller? Maybe take a paint scrapper and remove the metal plate and squishy material behind it then epoxy in a 1/8" metal spacer. That might do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,523 Posts
Probably, the rubber bushing behind it is probably dried out and shrunk. Replacing the bushing or adding a spacer behind it should do it.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
How do you get the old pin out?
I take a side angle grinder, cut the old one in half, top half comes out the top, bottom half out the bottom. Simple biscuit!

Drill out the top or grind it off. You just have to take off the mushroomed part thats pressed from the factory. And you can try the can idea, but I can almost guarantee it wont work. Worth a shot. Report back if it works
I've drilled them before I figured out the easier way. Drilling is a pita, and so it grinding the top down, easier just to cut it in half.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I will try that next time I do them. And inevitably there will be a next time.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I am doing this for the first time in the next few days with the 38438 pins that Netkym used. I had used the 38410 (truck) hinge pins like the tech articles said to on my last Bird, may she rest in peace. I am looking forward to not having to drill out the hinges for the larger pin & bushing. Cutting pins in the middle with a cut off wheel is the way to go :) Then a drift and a hammer will knock them out of the holes. If only we could cut the pins without unbolting the hinges. I hate lining up body parts.

I am also going to look for a way to create more "spring" in my roller. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts