TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have any of you guys widen a stock wheel before? Like this... http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/index-1.html

I was thinking about going from the stock 6.5in wide to 8.5in wide? I think that will be wide enough? I will be running the mark viii TC and 3.73 gear this soon and will probably need the extra rubber on the ground.

I was reading about it on one of the local mustang forums here and it seemed like a good idea.. I've also found the marauder guys like to do it as well as the vette guys...
I found some quotes online from $110 a wheel to $250 a wheel so I mean it will come up to about 5 or 6 hundred when all said and done.. I sent the guy an email and I'm waiting a reply.. What do you guys think?

EDIT:
Just thought of this...tires... who sell's a tire that is as tall as the stock 215/70 tire but on a 8.5" wide rim.. :confused:........ That might put a rain on my parade! :mad:.... Gonna go search for that one...

Ok so I would need a 255/60/R15 tire, but for a car. That might actually be doable..

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have some 99 cobra rims widened to 10". And Pops had some 6er stAng wheels out to 9.5 and stock marauder wheels narrowed to 5" for skinnies. No problems here except for a couple pin holes in the narrowed wheels, but that is one large weld there. Some silicone took care of that.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Tbird1997,

I had Weldcraft widen a pair of 16" x 8" Cobra R replicas for me a couple of years ago. They do excellent quality work.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Tbird1997,

I had Weldcraft widen a pair of 16" x 8" Cobra R replicas for me a couple of years ago. They do excellent quality work.
Where did you find cobra r replicas in a 16 inch wheel?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't remember!

I got them from some online shop 10 years ago, to mount my first set of drag radials which were 255/60-16 BFGs. The wheels were manufactured in Mustang bolt pattern, but the seller redrilled them to fit my T-Bird.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a quote today for $175 a piece for the extra 2 inches and probably about $20 for shipping each way. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Oh cool good to hear MikeB!

currently i am running a 15x8 rear wheel with 5.5" backspacing and a 275/60 r15 tire
David
Awesome. Do you have any pictures of it? Are you running the stock 15" wheel? Was it enough or did you wish you went with more?

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
I got a quote today for $175 a piece for the extra 2 inches and probably about $20 for shipping each way. Seems like a pretty good deal.
Is that from Weldcraft? If you get them done, be sure to post up pics. I've been considering having them do some work on a set of wheels for me.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Racecougar- Yessir. Turn around time is about 3 weeks. And I will post pics when I get them done. I hope I can get around to it before too long.. First will need to find a pair of stock wheels in good condition from the junk yard.

Can someone tell me about running a stock tire ~235/60/15 or 215/70/15 with a 3.73 gear and a upgraded mark viii torque converter? Is it manageable? I am just debating on whether I should install gear and TC first or widen wheels first.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've thought about getting a set widened. What would be the best size to go with (wheel & tire size)?

Eventually I will lower the car no more than 2" so i'm not quite sure what would be the best width to go with, with out having to roll the fenders etc..

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
hub swap to 5x4.5, stock height at the time (have dropped the front 1.5" since) front tires were 235/60r15 (now 215/70r15) rears were 275/60r15

1 - 20 of 63 Posts