TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to either put 235 60 15's or 245 60 15's all the way around on my stock rims. I also will be lowering with eibach springs at the same time. I think this is a 1.5 inch lowering. I am sure this combo has been tried and i would apreciate any feedback on things like tire rub, etc..... thanks for your help

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thanks,
what size tires are on your car in the picture on the link (chrome fan wheels).
Also how did you lower your car? what springs did you use? By the way the car looks really nice

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I feel 255's are too large. besides 245/60-15s are almost a perfect match to stock tire size.
I like my current Prodigy Sport 3000's.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Stock wheels are 15x6.5", not 15x7. The widest tire you can do on those wheels is 245/60-15. I've run 4 different sets that size and never had a problem. I do drive my car HARD too.

It's true that 255 is the widest you can put on the front with standard offset wheels. You can go to 275 in the rear if you roll the fender lip, but it's TIGHT!

My personal suggestion are the Dunlop GT Qualifiers 245/60-15. They handle great dry & wet and wear really well. They're only like $62 each from Tire Rack too. :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sir William,
When you were running 245 60 15's, did you have your car lowered at the time? If so what springs did you go with and did you any problems with it?

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
mikes97 said:
Sir William,
When you were running 245 60 15's, did you have your car lowered at the time? If so what springs did you go with and did you any problems with it?
No, it was not lowered, but it doesn't matter. You can run 245/60-15 on stock wheels whether the car is lowered or not.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I had a set of

275/60R/15 Dunlop GT Qualifiers on the back of my STOCK HEIGHT '93 XR-7 with stock wheels. They didn't rub at all and I really liked the way they ride. There are some issues with tire noise though on the road. Unfortunately they are quite bald though, so I'm thinking of getting some new ones, maybe a shade smaller though.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
275/60-15 is dangerously wide on a stock 6.5" wheel. I would NOT do that again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sir William said:
275/60-15 is dangerously wide on a stock 6.5" wheel. I would NOT do that again.

Personally I think 245 is even a little wide for the 6.5". Not that it isn't doable, just the I don't think it's the best idea. However, 275 is asking for a whole lotta trouble.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sir William said:
Stock wheels are 15x6.5", not 15x7. The widest tire you can do on those wheels is 245/60-15. I've run 4 different sets that size and never had a problem. I do drive my car HARD too.

Well after four sets of 245's i think that is the size I will try........after I do a couple of bleach burnouts.:D :D :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
255's

I am currently running 255/60/15's on my stock 94 T-bird rims. I have had them for nearly three years and I run my bird as a daily driver. I have run her HARD in the past but not so much now. Have had zero trouble with the 255's. No rubbing in the front at all. aslo... 255/60/15 is almost an exact match for the stock tire height.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
1994 4.6L, 436k+ miles at time of retirement.
2,923 Posts
Tire Size Calculator

Mager Thom and Thyg0d posted this on the old forums site a while ago. It may help in choosing new tire size to those who browse through here.

http://www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm

I found it very useful when determining which tire size would have the least affect on speedometer/odometer readings.

e.g.: 245/45R17 is an extremely close match in circumference to 205/70R15 (.18% difference); 235/60R15 is close also (about .75% diff.). 245/60R15 would read about 1% off.

Of course, the % changes are different if OEM tire size is 215/70R15...

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Any pics?

Could someone maybe post a pic of there 245/60/15's or wider? If you can get a rear view shot, i would appreciate it! I want to see how wide it looks, i'm curious!

Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
me too...

i would like to see pics of tbird with 245 60 15 or about that size with a car that lowered with aftermarket springs

·
Registered
825 Posts
I can take pics of 245/50/16 if you want

Car isn't lowered tho

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Zephyr said:

Personally I think 245 is even a little wide for the 6.5". Not that it isn't doable, just the I don't think it's the best idea. However, 275 is asking for a whole lotta trouble.
I don't know what trouble you're referring to, I had none. I suppose the bead could break on a hard corner, but that's happened with stock 205's once when I swerved to miss a bovine in the road. Granted the 275's only lasted maybe 150 miles before they were to bald to leaglly use anymore. But they sure were fat and they filled up the wheel well, I like the look.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
I can take pics of 245/50/16 if you want
Yea, that would be good, the tires would the same width as if they were on a 15in. rim right?

Thanks!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Re: Tire Size Calculator

IronChopz said:
Mager Thom and Thyg0d posted this on the old forums site a while ago. It may help in choosing new tire size to those who browse through here.

http://www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm

:rolleyes: Just because those two told you doesn't mean they posted it first.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
1994 4.6L, 436k+ miles at time of retirement.
2,923 Posts
Didn't Say...

....they did post it first! Those are just the names I recalled seeing when browsing.

If you deserve credit as well, then you are duly recognized!

:D

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have 215/70/15 on my stock 15" Chrome Fan Wheels, do you think that is too skinny? If so, I might get them replaced soon.

Sir William said:

It's true that 255 is the widest you can put on the front with standard offset wheels. You can go to 275 in the rear if you roll the fender lip, but it's TIGHT!

My personal suggestion are the Dunlop GT Qualifiers 245/60-15. They handle great dry & wet and wear really well. They're only like $62 each from Tire Rack too. :D
I've read reviews for those tires, and they have horrible reviews.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.