TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have 18x9 Bullitts on the front, and 18x10 Deep Dish Bullitts on the rear.

Is a 9 inch WHEEL too wide for the front? If not, What is the wides front tire I can run without rubbing on anything, and what side profile should the wheel have?

Now, same question on the rear, with a ten inch rear wheel, what is the wides tire I can run without rubbing?

thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
i run 18x9 in the front with 245 40 and im almost positive thats just about as wide as you can go. might be able to go a little thicker, 245 50 or 55 but probably no more than that. mine is only lowered 1.5 and with those cut sport springs im not sure how far you can push it. def be safe with 245 40 though in my opinion. as far as the back pretty much as wide as you want. i think the wider the better. i have 275 40 in the rear with 18x9. you can prlly push atleast 285 maybe even 300 or around there with 18x10.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm mostly concerned with the front...does having cut springs limit how wide I can go? Would I be in better shape if it wasn't quite as low (voigtlands or eibach, H&R springs, etc.)

·
Registered
240 Posts
it really depends on the backspacing your wheels have.
for example, my wheels are 20x8.5 (6.5" backspacing) with 255/30/20's mounted on them and the sidewall of the tire is roughly 1/8" from rubbing on the spindle arm upfront.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think 255 is gonna be the widest you can go in front. Not sure of the overall diameter. Out back on my car I have a widened mustang wheel. Originally 17x8 now 17x10 with a 315 35 and it is super close to the sway bar.

But like bagged95 says it depends on your backspace. I think the new backspace on my widened is 7.25. I could space it out a little and maybe fit a bigger tire, but I would need a wider wheel cause 315 is max on the 10" wide wheel.

·
Registered
433 Posts
offset as well. I think the most offset you can have is like 38mm or around there. I know mine are 38 offset and I have 245 40 like I said with 9 inch in the front and it gives me about an 1/8th inch between the UCA and tire.

but like everyone says, just have to be contiuos of everything. tire size, wheel size, offset, backspacing, I don't really think having it at a lower or higher ride hieght wieghs in as much as the rest though someone with more experiance may disagree

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yes the offset plays a big role in this. My fronts are 18x9 36mm offset and I have 255/45 tires. Backs are 18x10 45mm offset with 285/40's. I still have a decent amount of clearance in the back and could have gone with a wider tire but the 285's look fine to me.

·
Registered
987 Posts
245-45-18 front & 275-40-18 rears would be a good choice for that car. 255mm+ rubber up front can contribute and even cause bump steer on these cars which can be really annoying if you travel on alot of imperfect roads.

Brad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wheel Brand

yes the offset plays a big role in this. My fronts are 18x9 36mm offset and I have 255/45 tires. Backs are 18x10 45mm offset with 285/40's. I still have a decent amount of clearance in the back and could have gone with a wider tire but the 285's look fine to me.
R8D-XXX, what brand wheels are you using on your tbird? Im interested on if you used a wheel spacer, changed the hubs, what wheel pattern you used etc. Im running high power output on my tbird and need the widest tire possible for maximum traction. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
R8D-XXX

That Car Is Stunning!
Thanks Earl!

R8D-XXX, what brand wheels are you using on your tbird? Im interested on if you used a wheel spacer, changed the hubs, what wheel pattern you used etc. Im running high power output on my tbird and need the widest tire possible for maximum traction. Thanks.
Yes, I did the hubswap. They are mustang wheels with the 05+ offsets.....no spacers. The wheels are Godspeed Omega's from www.cruizinconcepts.com Pretty good guys to deal with. There are I think 4 different style Omega's you can choose from. I went with the machined/black style. Here is a direct link to the page that has the Godspeeds. http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/godspeed-deep-dish-wheels-rims.asp

However, if you are just wanting to get wide wheels on your car, Brad here on the board (custome wheel shop) can get you a wide setup without having to spend the extra $$$ and doing a hub swap.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I'm running an 18x10 in the back with a 275 right now and no issues at all with the fenders rolled. I've got a friend that's gonna get me a few free sets of used wide tires. Gonna try out a 315 or more next chance I get.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm running an 18x10 in the back with a 275 right now and no issues at all with the fenders rolled. I've got a friend that's gonna get me a few free sets of used wide tires. Gonna try out a 315 or more next chance I get.
out of curiousity, what all does "rolling the fenders" entail? I know it allows wider tires to not rub, but what exactly is done to the car?

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Basically you take the rear fender lip, and instead of having it point inward horizontally toward the car, you "roll" it, so that it points up. Me, personally (though many would cringe at the thought), I took a 3 lb. sledgehammer until I got what I wanted. There's many ways to do it, but this was by far the easiest.

Eastwood Company used to sell a tool that bolted to your hub that did a much neater job.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
interesting, does it give you quite a bit more room to breathe on tire width?
Before rolling it, my 275's would rub slightly on the fender lip. After I rolled them, and while I had the car bagged, I had the rear's fully tucked in the fenders, with about a 1/4" gap between the tire and fender.

·
Registered
683 Posts
can anyone confirm that i should be ok with 255/50/R17? they're WAY cheaper than 245/50/r17, but i really want the widest tire i can get. I'm pretty sure the rim size is 17 X 9, but i'm not sure about the back spacing. how can i find out what it is?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts