TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wierd oil pressure problem (4.6L)

Ive searched to no avail... Well here it goes.. I noticed about 2 days ago that there was a wierd noise coming from the engine compartment. It almost sounds like an alternator going bad or a pulley getting ready to sieze up,, i used a stethiscope and the alternator has alittle noise to it. But not enough to be what im hearing.. lol well to make matters worse my oil pressure is really high almost to the H. I went to check the oil and when I pulled the dip stick it sounded like air blowing through it. I then pulled the oil cap off and heard the same sound. I put my hand over it and its sucking air into the valve cover.. Any info would be appreciated... I tried a search and didnt come up with anything. I have a feeliong its timme to do the Mark VIII swap..

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I’m going to assume you’re talking about your 4.6L since that’s all I know anything about anyway. :D
OzzManG149 said:
… well to make matters worse my oil pressure is really high almost to the H.
The oil pressure “gauge” is nothing more than an “idiot light with a needle” :mad:

The “sending unit” on the block is nothing more than a N/O switch that closes at 7 psi (I think) which makes your needle go to “some place” on the gauge. Ford installed a resister to make the gauge read mid-level…. :mad:

So without actually checking the pressure, the gauge is useless (unless you’ve swapped it over to an actual “sending unit” per the tech articles. :thumbsup:

I then pulled the oil cap off and heard the same sound. I put my hand over it and its sucking air into the valve cover..
As it should. :D

The PCV system pulls vacuum via the PCV valve from the passenger side valve cover. So if you remove the oil fill cap, you’ll have vacuum there (unless you have a worn engine and are getting a lot of blow by).

I think the first thing I would do is pull the belt when the engine is cold. It’s ok to run the car (shoot I’ve even driven it for a mile) with the belt off for just a little while. Just keep an eye on the temp. With the belt off it will tell you if its in the engine or an accessory. If it’s an accessory, then it’s just a matter of finding it. If it’s the engine…. That’s a slightly bigger issue. :beek:

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts